Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a bass for myself!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Here are some progress shots of a bass I'm making for myself.

I can't decide on a color for the neck binding. The bridge in the picture is not going on this bass. Hardware will be all black and it will have a natural finish........Or maybe I'll dye it red....

Picture1

Picture 2

2. Whatever you do don't dye it man!
    Keep it Au Naturalle.
    Dirk

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Beautiful!

But DO NOT DYE - please?

4. I think I have to agree with you guys. All that light colored wood looks sweet together. What about binding? I'm leaning towards black. It should compliment the black hardware nicely.

5. I would agree with black to match the hardware.

6. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Frist of all, that grain is awsome!!. Its tilted to the side; I love it.

I would have to agree. If the body and neck are going to be natural with black hardware, blakc neck binding would be great!

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That's a nice looking bass. I have a customer who wants me to build him a headless bass of his own design that may end up looking very similar. He sent me some sketches and lower part of the body near the bridge looks almost indentical.

8. Budman,

That little protrusion below the bridge seems to be a popular look these days. I've seen a lot of designs like that and always thought it looked cool.

That would look great on a headless bass. Send some progress shots when you get working on it.

I'm building this so I'll have something with a grindy slap and fingerstyle sound. I think the single EMG 35DC will deliver. I also want to try out some new things that will probably become standards in my basses.

:bassist:

9. Well, black binding seems like a natural because we've seen it on every bound and blocked natural Jazz but how about something different - Tortoise/white/black/white OR Ivoroid/black/ivoroid binding?

10. I have been considering a wood binding of some sort. I'll give it some thought.

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm about to attempt some wenge binding on an all maple/maple neck. :eek:

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Better sand that binding smooth, I wouldn't want to get a splinter while doing a glissando... I wanna see that when it's done.

13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1 on the kool scallop below the bridge. the bass I just ordered is going to have that.. plus the neck stringers at the base of the body are going to be scalloped. Look at the threads Ive started if you want to see it.

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX

Sand? Smooth? Splinter? What are you talking about? ;) I just did a wenge on wenge neck. I think I'll be OK.

15. Alright guys, I'm trying to decide on a preamp to mate with the single EMG 35DC that going in the bass.

I'm thinking a 2 band will work great.

I love the OBP-1 but it's boost only. I would have to install a passive tone control so I could pull some of the highs out when needed. It's still an option.

Any experience with EMG or Seymour Duncan?