1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a Bass for the first time

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jay S, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    I am building this bass guitar:
    DIY Electric Bass Guitar Kit - Semi Hollow Body Bass Build Your Own

It is a retirement gift for a friend who is a bass player. I have upgraded the tuners and am looking at the electronics. Can't seem to find any upgrades on the pickups. I do want to upgrade the pots. Does anyone have any good suggestions on pots for the upgrade?

Thank you. This is my first ever build so please be kind!

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Looks like they're using guitar humbuckers for the pickups. If you can get dimensions from them you could maybe look at Thunderbird, or TV Jones style and see if they fit.
    Also worth looking at before you buy new pots is the aperture you'll have to feed the pots through. You can get smaller sized pots from places such as Mini Guitar & Bass Pots | GuitarElectronics.com.

Suggest you get some surgical tube to help fish those pots through the f-holes.
    Good luck. Looks like a fun project.

Duder likes this.
  3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    You might also try guitarfetish.com for pickups in that size.

4. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019

The surgical tubing is a good tip. I appreciate it. I have the staining complete on the body. moving to finish pretty soon. Likely want to finish getting the neck properly set up before I put final finish on.

5. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Thanks for the tip

Duder likes this.
  6. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Been fun so far. Here is where I am on staining. IMG_20190918_203459116. IMG_20190919_221934131. IMG_20190920_220139847. IMG_20190921_103825648.

7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Love that colour.

8. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Using Angelus leather dyes. Black and purple.

9. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Here are the pots that came with the kit. I have four of them. two labeled A500k and 2 labeled B500k. I can't tell any difference between them other than labeling

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    A is probably Log/Audio taper, and B is linear taper.

11. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Thank you much!

12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Those look like standard guitar humbucker routes. There are lots and lots of guitar humbuckers out there, and that means lots and lots of variation in tone, and that means that some will sound great to you (and/or your friend), and some will not.

I can wholeheartedly recommend a pair of the Wilde L-90, maybe a 4H for the neck and a 6H for the bridge.

TV Jones is also a great option. They make rings that fit: EM1 Gibson-style Pickup Ring with Mounting Screws

Ripper75 likes this.
  13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I think I would probably build the bass and make sure the neck is ok and that it plays nicely before spending lots of money on expensive pickups and stuff. A hollowbody in this price range... I'm sure it will be fine but I wouldn't start spending on upgrades until I know for sure that there aren't any serious issues.

retslock, ctmullins and Tom0Blam0 like this.
  14. Jay S

Jay S

Oct 9, 2019
    Good advice. Thank you

15. Wow what a cool gift, yea I agree some Wilde L90s would sound good in there, I'm curious how it plays, was looking at that a while back cuz I can't afford a hollowbody rt now