Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a bass from a kit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Anyone know where I can find relatively cheap kits (or at least cheap individual parts) for building a "custom bass"? I know it wouldn't be that custom, but I don't think I'm ready to go all out shaping wood and drilling stuff yet.

I got the idea from a friend who is building a custom guitar. Throughout the whole process I've been watching him build it, and it really makes me want to try this out. Mainly because I keep telling him "no, that paint looks ugly as hell. You should have gone with a wood stain" and stuff like that. The sheer ugliness of his creation (even though he likes it) makes me want to make my own.

So is there a place for me to buy a kit like this? One that's not terrible quality I mean? I found a few P bass kits, but they look terribly chinsey. I'd be looking for a J style or humbucker compatible kit.

Also, has anyone else done this?

2. warmoth?

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Start with Scrap wood. Get thick Chunks of wood and just try and cut out the shape you want. Then your own Bass can slowly be built from the ground up.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    rofl

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Warmoth sells necks, bodies and all that but it's not super cheap. It's really good quality though. Do a search for warmoth.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Carvin sells kits (both bass and guitar).

7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I saw those, they look interesting. Not a bad price.

8. +1

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Keep in mind that what I suggested was "Practice" body's with scrap wood.

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The guys on the Carvin forum speak very highly of their kit projects. They use the same components as their production B4 and B5 basses and they are supposed to sound and play great. There also seems to be a degree of customization in ordering the parts for the kit. Good luck with whatever you find.....

11. JonTheBassGuy

JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    how bout saga bass kits. sounds pretty darn good for $120 or something in that area. the pickups and everything came already soldered so all he had to do was install hardware and refinish , or something like that.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I built this one and it came out great. A B5 fretless with Swamp Ash body. I also bought a fretted neck and can switch them as needed. It was easy to build and plays great.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

That's a beautiful bass! I just might have to build one myself. Great idea with the two necks as well.....

14. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I've used the saga kit before. I built it for a friend. Total cost was about $130 all said and done, including painting materials. Not bad at all and doesn't sound to bad either.