Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a bass from parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ballison, Mar 20, 2006.

1. so Ive been working on this bass project for awhile and Ive bought every individual part off of ebay that is except for the neck...Im looking at two places to get it. either warmoth, or usa custom guitars. im just wondering who has experience with any of these...

Im planning on getting AAA birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, with white block inlays, vintage tint finish, and hipshot cloverleaf tuners with an extender key....Im just drooling thinking about finishing this bass haha

the bass on the far left is the one im working on (obviously)

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    There's a couple of threads to be found that discuss replacement neck options. The search is your friend. :D

That would look pretty cool, the maple neck with white blocks on that body, but personally I would go for pearl blocks rather than simple white, IMHO, of course. I have two words for you: Matching Headstock!

BTW, I'll take the pickup cover off of your hands, if you don't want it.... :p

*EDIT*
    What bridge are you going to use?

3. Im gunna use either a vintage fender bridge or a badass II

4. Warmoth and USACG both do great work but their products are a little different. Warmoth necks are a little heavy for my taste due to the steel reinforcement rods they put in their necks. They seem a little more modern feeling to me. And the frets need to be finished a little, at least on the two I have got from them. USACG necks seem to be perfect to me! The weight is less than a Warmoth neck because of the graphite rods and the frets are great out of the box! I do not know if USACG has the options you are looking for but they are pretty cool guys so give them a call.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I bought a warmoth neck years ago and found them to be very heavy I guess its due to the three rods in side the neck. I also had fret sprouts that needed to be filed.

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I would recommend getting the BadAss 2 bridge... I use it and love it!
    It really does add sustain and whatnot. You will have to file grooves for the strings into the saddle but basically just find the center of each saddle and start filing. Using a Dremel rotary tool with a rounded file would be great for this. File until the string is almost halfway in the saddle... file and test, file and test etc.... No mistakes that way.
    Worth the money though.