Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    Im looking to build a bass. like a solid-body 4 string. i have some idea on how to build it, but im not 100%. i have most of the tools i need, i think. im just wondering how much money it would take, but im not gonna go all extravigant.i think i may need to buy the neck, i hear they are very hard to make, or correctly at least. i just think it woudl be a good experience, to have somthing you built yourself. and are there any websites that show u step by step, or any videos or anything. i woudl feel better with a video, i think. well any help or tips would be appreciated. thanx

-Jake

2. stewmac sells everything you could possible want to build a bass, guitar, mandolin, or banjo they sell almost everything related to musical intruments

3. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Jake,

I just finished building my 2nd Carvin bass. They sound great! The kits are exactly like their bolt on 4 and 5 strings basses; you just finish them yourself. Also check out Carvins forums for some pictures and and advice.

BTW, because they are like the bolt ons, the routing of the neck and tdhe fit is perfect. I have not had to adjust the truss rod on either of them.

Regards,

Mike

www.carvin.com

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If I were you I'd try a "parts bass" first.. Maybe something from Warmoth or the afore mentioned Carvin bolt kits.. (Been toying with the idea of a Warmoth project myself lately..)

Good luck.. :)

5. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thanx for the help

-Jake