Building a bass, need neck help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMan257, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Hey, i just recently bought one of these bad boys...

and was wondering about what type of neck i should put on it....

i want a 4 string fretted... but I want it to be a nice quality neck... not just a squier neck or anything...

if i decide i want to de fret it, i will, but i want to see weather or not ill like it with the frets...

Ive been looking at ebay necks for a while, and im still not convinced any is better than the other...

btw, all i know is that the body needs to have a 34" scale neck, thats probibly standard, but thats all i know
  2. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    How much are you looking to spend?
  3. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You could always get a neck from Warmoth. They have plenty of different styles, and they're good quality.
  4. Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    My suggestion would be to pick up a neck from warmoth, allparts, carvin, stewmac, or mightymite....find one you like and go for it.
  5. 18Phil81

Jan 23, 2006
    What would change the position of the note on the fretboard from in the middle of the fret to right on the fret line?
  6. well, i put about 150 into the body, and 150 for a nice neck would be fine with me..

i dont want it to be a "project" bass of sorts... more of a nice custom bass... im not trying to just get something together... i want to make it slick..

ill look all those guys up... but i mean, if anyone has any kind of dislikes about any necks mentioned, just tell me...

btw, to phil....

basically, when you play in between 2 frets, the fret stops the string at a certan point... when there are no frets, you put your fingers where the frets should be to stop the string at that certan point... the reason why the "frettless" is desired, is because of the sound it gets compaired to the fretted

sorry, but i didnt really get your question phil, but i tried to explain it a little...
  7. wow... looks like i was underestimating prices for a good neck.... lol...
  8. kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    I got a tele body(yes a g+*#@r it was built as a gift) from the same guy about 2 months ago. He does great work at a great price. Make sure you know were the solid parts of the body for the neck and bridge end. On the tele there was only about an inch of play. Measure everything twice and cut once(well once is all you will get)
  9. yeah, i was planning to have someone else do it for me.. im just going to go to a guitar center and ask if they know of anyone who would be able to install a neck and a bridge, and maybe cut the pickup holes, i guess thats what you would call them... and holes for the pots...

i basically decided that i want to put black hardware on it.. (as a side note)

to me anything else would just look dumb... but black hardware with black nylon strings and black knobs and black pickups would look pretty sweet...

anywho.. anyone have any experiance with mightymites? cause it looks like thats all thats in my pricerange...