building a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tater tot, Dec 15, 2004.

1. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    i was thinking of started a project with my dad. i wanna build a fender jazz style bass with the nicest sound, best playability, and a nice color(i hate black). so basically i need 2 know how much it'll cost and if its more worth while to buy a factory 1 and just add new pick ups ect

thx 4 ur help-josh
  2. Let's start at square you have any woodworking experience? What kind of woodworking tools do you have available? Do you have painting experience and the necessary equipment (compressor, etc.)? Answering those questions will help us steer you in the right direction.
  3. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    i wasnt planning on building the body, i hav the tools but my dad would flip and cancel the idea 100%. basically all i need 2 no is a good wood, cool shape, good pickups, easy-to-play neck and all that kinda stuff. maybe my next 1'll b totally custom until then better start mostly factory, sorry should hav said this in 1st post
  4. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston (One to get you started...)
    You may want to use the search, read back through a few pages in this forum, and over at pickups. That's a whole lot of info you're looking for. There are all kinds of threads and opinions available re: parts, different brands and types of pickups, wood, hardware, etc. As far as shape goes, didn't you say you wanted to go Jazz bass style?
    Good luck.
  5. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    thx man, thats all i should need
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    How long have you been playing for? If you've only just started, you might want to get a little more of an idea of what you like basswise (i.e. tone/looks and all that) before you get a Warmoth bass or something, because they have kinda poor resale value if you decide you don't like it later on.
  7. i was thinking about doing this too, having my dad build the body and buy a neck to put on. My dad is an amazing wood crafter, he practically rebuilt the inside of our house by himself. and he has access to almost any tool he would need.