Building A Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fattie64, Sep 14, 2005.

1. fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    So I have this crazy idea, why would i pay $400-600 for a bass not specifically tailored to my needs when i could build one for half the price exactly how I want? Makes sense, huh?

Well I have the woodworking skills but I need some basic info, best type of wood, wiring, what needs to be cut out for the wiring, best pickups for a kindof Ric style tone, and fretless or fretted? I value your input! :D

So I know its gonna be 4 string, passive electronics, natural finish, and all black hardware.

What you all think?

2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Dear luthiers corner forum,

Thank you for existing.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think you're underestimating the price of quality hardware and electronics. That'll be about $2-300 by itself.

Check out the luthier's forum.
  4. fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    o lol my bad didnt know it existed
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Fattie!

You should go for's a great experience, and you'll learn lots and get lots of 'personal fulfillment' from the whole thing.

There are several great books to get you on your way, but really you should make a visit to the Luthiers' corner and talk with the likes of Hambone and Wilser,

Good luck!
  6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ima have to agree with.. whoever said that thing about parts costing a lot of money.
    They do. Good luck building a bass for 200 dollars.
    Price it out before you start planning or asking questions.
  8. Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    You aren't likely to save money, and if you don't have all the tools necessary you may well spend thousands of dollars, but its a worthwhile project. Do it for the fun and experience though, not the price. Generally you can never compete with mass production as far as prices.
  9. You probably will save some money if you can build something that you can truly compare to a bass you would want to buy. The reason I say that is that you can inexpensively put features into a bass that you would only find on instruments costing several thousand dollars but you would never find on a $500 bass - and that $500 is about where you'll wind up when you finishing purchasing hardware, electronics, and wood. The rest is up to your skill and imagination.

BTW, the equation NEVER works in your favor if you calculate your time as part of the cost. If this is supposed to be something fun, then you shouldn't worry about that anyway and you should build for quality instead of speed.

This is one reason why the SX basses make such a good platform to start from.
  10. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I originally decided to build my bass for cost issues, not knowing how much work was involved. I felt for quite a while that I had gotten in over my head, and I screwed up a few times before I finally got it right. It came out amazing, and is 10x better than anything that I could have gotten for a similar price, but now that I have it in my hands the pride in knowing I built it myself FAR exceeds the amount of money I saved. Build it because you want to, for the enjoyment, the self satisfaction.....

the bragging rights... :D
  11. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO