Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LesClaypoolJR, Oct 1, 2005.

1. LesClaypoolJR

LesClaypoolJR

Jun 16, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    After carefull consideration..i've decided to build my own bass...but i have a few questions:

If theres a Step-by-Step out there...will somone refer me to it?

What tools will i need...if i buy an alredy built neck....

Where whould i get the wood for the body if i already have a design drawn up?

and if somone would give me tips, precautions etc. that would hepl too.

2. well i would suggest you buy a book on the subject, a good one is melvyn hiscock - Make your own electric guitar. it will answer a lot of your questions.

there is a lot of info in the luthiers corner here on TB.

it is an quite expensive and time consuming prodgect you are about to start but i guess you already figured that out...

cheers

3. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    I would also suggest Martin Koch's book "Building Electric Guitars" while the Melvyn Hiscock book is great; Koch's book has a bigger variety of construction methods and alternatives.
    Hiskock's book has more concise photos and diagrams but to me the Koch book gives alot more info to feed your own creativity.
    Also check out the "Luthier's Corner" section of these forums for more inspiration as well. The only problem with building your own basses or guitars is that it can be very addicting after you have completed your first sucessful one. :smug:

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  5. A great tool when building a guitar is the internet (of course). One website that has helped me is projectguitar.com. There are many tutorials and how-to's there that have helped me get through tough parts in my guitar. Mostly the process of building your own guitar is time consuming. At one point in my project (making a telecaster-style guitar with a warmoth neck) I decided to put the project away for a month and do other things because it can be overwhelming at some parts, especially if you don't have all the tools or parts at the start. It's really fun and rewarding though.
    Good luck.projectguitar.com

6. OK I can't resist giving you a more obtuse suggestion:
    If you know what you want, it's a matter of thinking things as small steps, like building a big puzzle. And of course using the tools and materials you have or can get. I've built a bass using an exisiting neck and I think it came out great, you have to improv just like music to any obstacles in your way.
    I'm currently building one from scratch, much more challenging, but you don't need a book. Take a bass you like and look at it and think of how you can use those construction techniques to aid your ideas. And yeah the luthiers forum here is going to get you farther than any book IMHO. We have some incredibly generous and talented builders here.
    Best of Luck to you,
    Dirk