building a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ski, Oct 26, 2005.

1. ski

Oct 23, 2005
    Right now I'm thinking I'd like to start playing bass (posted a thread about what bass to get not too long ago) and after reading a few threads here on the forum it seems that some people are putting together their own basses.

This idea kinda intrigues me and its something I'd like to look into. I do alot of work on my car and have build a few computers and such so I don't think the process would be too much for me.

So my main question in all of this is who has done this and what kind of feedback can you give me on the overall experience?

Also, where can I go to read about the process and buy the parts that I would need? Can anyone tell me what all I'd need and what brands/models you would recommend.

This would be my first bass, but I do love building things myself, so its not too expensive I think I'd like to give it a shot.
  2. Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
  3. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    check out the luthiers forum TONS of info on the, I'm about to start a project on a Fender-Sadowsky inspired Neck-thru, with some crazy exotic woods.....should be ALOT of fun.

Good Luck.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    By building, do you mean simply assembling, or do you mean building from planks of wood. Either way, head on over to the Luthiers' Forum. I'm building my first now, and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Be prepared for things to go wrong (in my case, lots of things. Two neck blanks warped from humidity).
  5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Great necks and bodies from

Stay away from Mighty Mite necks....

eBay is your friend...

Expect to pay anywhere from $500 on up for the parts to put together a good bass if you buy everything new and get decent stuff.