Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jpcontreras, Jan 4, 2003.

1. jpcontreras

jpcontreras

Dec 23, 2002
    I would like to build a PJ bass, but spending like about $250. What are the steps to build a bass? What do I need to buy? How do you build a bass?

Thanks,
    JP

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    let's go to Setup.......

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You cannot build a bass from scratch for $250.00.

You can't buy the tools that you need, much less the materials required for that amount of money.

More realistic to tackle a restoration project on a beater bass. Satisfies that DIY desire and it's possible to end up with a very decent instrument.

Pkr2

4. If you want a do-it-now-by-yourself (DINBY) bass project, you can get on ebay and buy a kit for a P-bass in the $100 range. All the parts are there. Take the kit and do the best you can to make it a great playing instrument. If you can put it together correctly - so that you are satisfied - you will have had the best education you could get for $100.

Your question is so complex that it often tries our patience to attempt answering in a short space like this. When I asked myself those same questions, it put me on a 6 month long path to getting the answers. Only then was I confident enough to make a real attempt at building. But I'm proud to point out that some of the best information you could gleen can come directly from our very own Setup forum, the Luthiers forum in the Pro's Corner, and all of the various discussions elsewhere on TalkBass. Keep your ear to the ground.

5. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Don't be dicouraged by the ones that wouldn't do it. Be the one that does it.
    Here's a site with links to guitar building.
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/building.htm

Yes you can do it for 250$ if the tools are not counted.

6. I've gotta point out, for the benefit of JP, that you have said and illustrated exactly the same point that Pkr2 and myself have stated. Note that neither of us implied that JP "couldn't" do it. We merely tailored our answers to JP's own stated limitations and parameters. The question "How do you build a bass?" indicates in spades that JP hasn't gotten to the point in his quest that he could build one for only $250. That is an interesting price point IMO in that the price stated is just about exactly what a novice builder would expect to shell out for the hardware and wood to make a decent sounding and playing instrument.