building a bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pvriesinga, Sep 8, 2003.

1. pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    I am planning to build my first bass. It has been in the planning stages for a few months now. I need some help in thickness of the body. I plan to use birdseye fron and back, with a mahogony core. How thick should i get the front and back? and mahogany core thickness? I pretty much need to gather as much information as possible. If possible can anyone contact me on AOL or MSN messengers? any help would be nice. My MSN address is and my AOL messenger user name is dunno228. All help is greatly appreciated.

Phil Vriesinga:bassist:
  2. I think 1/4" is a good thinkness for laminte without effect the tone of the core material, but from a visual point of view, it also depends on how big your bevel edge is going to be, which will determine whether or not you want to see the lamination line running away from the side of the body.
  3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My request is to have answers posted on this thread rather than have them answered to you personally. There are a number of us who would like to hear the answers.

4. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Our total width is 1 1/2 with each laminate being 3/8.
  5. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    the answer is: whatever thicknesses you want.
    There are no hard & fast rules. Think about how thick you want the total body to be, and go from there. ;)

BTW, you can get some good advice on building matters at the Musical Instrument Makers Forum

good luck

DAve P.