building a better bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PrmnentDaylight, May 28, 2001.

1. PrmnentDaylight

May 28, 2001
    essex, ct
    My father and I have been discussin the prospect of custom building a bass this summer, mostly just for fun and the experience of it. Does anyone know of any good books, websites, or other resources that we could use in this? Thank you very much.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3. Well, lets see, there's our own SetUp forum that has lots of guys that have built their own. Since you were here anyway...

Another good site is the Musical Instrument Makers Forum. Great guitar discussions on all facets of building, finishing, wiring, and repairing.They are at

May 27, 2001
    You definitely should build your own...their is nothing more satisfying than playing a great playing/sounding instrument that you built yourself..When I built my bass I had no experience other than making models when I was a kid....These days there are so many resources for parts, and the great guys on this website can help with ANY questions you might have... Here`s my .02 cents worth, you can`t go wrong with a BADASS bridge. Mine is now 20yrs old (see Rick/Jazz/P-Bass? on this webpage) and is as good as the day ups delivered it. To be really daring get a body blank and design your own body! GOOD LUCK! SMA
  5. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I think Martin Koch's book Building Electric Guitars and Siminoff's book (can't remember the name) are very good. Actually even more to the point than Hiscock.
    Koch is available at (print on demand, and with a nice little CD to it if you want);
    Siminoff I think at the sites mentioned above.
  6. PrmnentDaylight

May 28, 2001
    essex, ct
    A huge thanks to everyone who helped out with their advice and information. You've all been of great help, and I'll be sure to put up a description of the final product when it's done. Wish me luck!