Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building A Better Hipshot Xtender?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've recently went through the troubles of finding out I can only fit one Hipshot Xtender on my bass' headstock, even though it's a 2x2 and the tuners are pretty well spaced. Have any of you ever, or ever thought of, modifying an Xtender to be able to fit multiple ones on the same bass? I know Joe Zon modifies them to fit on the Hyperbass, but I've never seen a photo of how they're modified. I contacted Hipshot once and they said they didn't have plans on making ones that you could use multiples of for the same bass.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bump. I've actually considered looking for machinists to see if they could find a way, like maybe creating a way for the lever/spring mechanism to attach to the back of the tuner, so to detune the lever would be flipped outwards, away from the headstock.

3. What about contacting Joe Zon? You may even be able to buy direct from him...

4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Tried emailing twice with no response :( I was going to try again this week....I'm guessing he's a very busy guy.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Isn't JZ one of those people you're better off phoning than emailing?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know personally- I always figure it's better to email busy people so you know that they're responding to you on their own time rather than you calling when they might be busy. I wrote again last night- I'll call in a week if I don't hear back from him.

I'd still be interested in seeing what can be done with an Xtender- a lot of the pieces look like they don't have to be located exactly where they are, and moving them out to different places could allow more room to allow using several Xtenders on a normal 2x2 headstock (I'm having Rob Elrick build me a bass right now with a wider, taller headstock to accomodate four of them).

7. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    hipshot actually solved this problem a while back with their "up and over" d-tuner. My understanding is that Matt friedman of Acacia actually designed them for his basses and a few other builders jumped on board for a while. One of my friend's had Roscoe install them on his Six. Hipshot told me that they quit doing them b/c they're a pain in the ass to make and had some prblems with them falling apart (I've never had this issue with the four that I've had) anyway, here's how they work...

you still need a fair amount of space for the shifting plate the tuner is mounted on between the tuning keys, which a 2+2 should have, but the up and over is just like it sounds. the D-tuning lever has an extension of about 1/4" perpendicular to the headstock and then has the "switch" part attached. the "switch" clears the lower tuner behind it. I have one of my Acacia and an extra top and bottom one stashed away for basses I'm building. I'll try to get some pics for you later. Just call hipshot and tell them you were interested in an "up and over D-tuner" and they may still make them on a custom basis, but it'll cost a fair amount. The last time I checked it was either $150 or $200 a pop. They told me it takes the better part of half a day for one of them.

the other option is that Sperzel now makes a D-tuner for their tuners, but I have yet to try them first hand. I'll have two of them on my Dingwall when it's done though.

Hopefully that helps :)

~JK~

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    JK,
    That helps a lot! The Sperzel D-thing appears to do what I thought a Hipshot could if modded- put the spring mechanism and switch lever behind the tuner. I'm going to email them for more information though- their site offers little info.

I'll definitely email Hipshot tonight as well-- you've been a big help!

9. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    revive for a related question...

How much space do you need to do this sort of thing? Imagine you could make the headstock as big as possible(go figure...we're in the LC), what is the minimum distance you need between holes for proper operation? We are talking the ultralight 3/8's...