1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a board. I need more power!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Apr 1, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Hay all. I have commissioned a good friend of mine to build me a pedalboard. He is very good with his hands and I,ve seen him build numerous things out an idea so I am certain he will pull it off. Its not that hard anyway, I just dont have the materials or tools. He is going to be building something along the lines of a pedaltrain 3 or pro. I will need to power this bad boy when it is all said and done. In searching the internet for power supplies like the Voodoo Power and even the pedaltrain 1250, I noticed, or thought I noticed, that I couldnt find a power supply that had more than 8 outlets in it. I am looking for one power supply to power about ten pedals. Does anyone have a suggestion or know of anything thats out there that has at least 10 ports for 9 volt power? Or even a different avenue to power that many pedals on one board? I noticed the MXR DC Brick had 10 outlets but 2, or I think 3, of them were 18 volts. Can I use them for a 9 volt if I wanted to? Im pretty psyched about the project. I will post pics of the final product in a couple weeks when its all done. Thanks everyine! :bassist:

2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    DO NOT use the 18v outlet for 9v pedal unless the manufacturer specifically says you can. And if you can't find what your looking for you can daisy chain off a voodoo labs pedal power outlet as long as you don't go over the draw limit. I have too many pedals now but I have done that in the past with success!

3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was thinking of using a one spot but I've bad exp with them. They just stop working or I get nasty noise out of them through my chain. I'll take your suggestion and try some different things. I know exactly what you mean as far not using the 18 volt on a 9 volt. That's bad news.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    How are people's experiences with the MXR DC brick? Is this a good power supply?

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    One thing to consider is using a y splitter cable with the 9v outlets to power at least two pedals from one outlet. I found I had some noise issues when I did this with Digital pedals, but I use two of these for four of my analog pedals and it performs flawlessly without any noise.

I have 12 pedals an only 4 outlets, but between using a couple of y cables and another pedal that has an additional power output, I'm in great shape with just my Voodoo Labs 4x4.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    How about the trex fuel tank?

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I never knew or thought I could daisy chain like that out of one outlet on a power supply like the voodoo labs supplies. Now that has me thinking. Will the 4x4 be enough to power 9 to 12 pedals all at once without a problem you think?

8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    You just have to look at your pedals' power requirements to know. Most analog pedals will use less than 25ma, so in theory you should be able to power 4 or 5 analog pedals off one outlet without any power difficulties. Whether there will be any noise issues is something you'll have to figure out by experimenting.

9. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I have the iso 5 and the voodlabs 8 both mounted under my pedal train. Works great

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I think this may be the way I'll need to go duke. I was just trying to get away from spending $250 + and get all my pedals powered by one simple supply. Oh well, can't win em all.

11. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    The MXR is just a glorified OneSpot (basically a daisy chain in a box). That's what creates the noise you mentioned earlier. Like other's have stated you can daisy chain out of the single jacks. Certain pedals don't like being daisy chained. Typically dirt pedals. They'll make noise when in a power chain with other pedals. So you may not want to run a chain out of every jack. The Voodoo labs stuff and Trex stuff is solid. Any of these will run a massive amount of pedals from the raw power perspective. Pretty much just be aware that you probably wont be able to run multiple big digital pedals (ex. M9, anything with a screen) out of one jack. But you can probably chain 10+ of your basic analog pedals.

12. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome, thanks! Exactly the input I was looking for. The reason I wanted to go with the trex was more inputs. All of you have provided useful info for an educated decision.

13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of the larger supplies SHOULD be fine for ten or more pedals assuming you don't have several digital pedals that have a super high mA draw like Eventide/Strymon/some EHX/etcetera or have lots of pedals with special power requirements (ie-12/18 volts, center positive, or AC power). I generally use about 10 pedals on my main board and power them easily with a CIOKs AC-10, though could power that current board just as easily with a Voodoo PP2+- and this still leaves room for additional pedals to be comfortably powered by the supply if I want to add anything. I chose the CIOKs because it also has two outputs that can be used with AC pedals and work well with my Boomerang III (which has a really big mA draw) and some other pedals I've had in the past or am looking for in the future, including many tube-driven pedals.

As mentioned by others, try to find the recommended mA draw of your pedals from the manufacturers and you are fine daisy-chaining them off of a single outlet from any of the isolated power supplies as long as the total mA doesn't exceed the mA output of the outlet you use. Most pedals commonly used don't exceed 25-30 mA (and are often much less), so you could potentially power far more pedals than you have using a PP2+ or something similar. Another thing I really like about my CIOKs is that it has one high mA 9 volt output that puts out around 600 (IIRC) mA- so I daisy chain all of my non-difficult/non-noisy pedals off of that one and have plenty more outlets to take care of the pedals that really need isolation or require different voltages (as the CIOKs also does 12 volt capabilities on multiple outlets and allows 18 volt capabilities, both of which I use at times).

In other words- assuming you aren't using alot of high current draw digital pedals or many pedals that require different voltages (12, 18, etcetera), you will probably be just fine with any one of the big isolated supplies. I would just recommend researching them all with an eye towards the mA capabilities of each output to know how much you will be able to daisy chain from each. Also- since you have had noise troubles before from daisy-chaining it is likely that at least one of your pedals seems to want to live on its own isolated power output. You will just have to experiment to find out which one(s)...

Edit- I will add that I haven't found dirt pedals I've used to necessarily be bad from a power noise perspective on a daisy chain- they do tend to amplify the sound of noise caused by power supplies in other pedals alot though. I've had the worst noise issues with delay-based effects (chorus, flanger, etcetera) on daisy chains, but it is all subjective.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well here's what I'd be plugging into the supply:

EHX POG
    boss auto wah
    OCD fulltone
    MXR BFD
    MXR BCD
    boss CEB3
    DOD digital delay
    VT bass and possibly the BDDI by sansamp
    B7K

I think that'd be all of them. With the anticipation of may e two more in the future. Would 1 pedal power 2 be enough to run all these? I'm thinking yes.

15. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm pretty sure a PP2+ would drive all those effects nicely. You'll just have to experiment to see which ones don't like to be daisy-chained. Right off the bat, I'd suspect the POG to work best isolated given my experience with other digital EHX pedals- I think it also needs a decent current input. You should look up their suggested mA rating for that pedal to make sure there is an output on the power supply that can provide enough. Not sure on the others though- I don't think any of the others should have particularly high current needs. Depending on the supply you get, you might also want to try running your B7k at 12 volts if possible- I do it with my B3k and really like the change...

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks, I am going to write all the power requirements down so I have em in front of me all nice to see what needs what. And yeah, I really would like to see what the B7K sounds like with 12 volts.

17. I have the MXR brick, goes great. I like having both 18V and 9V.

I replaced my chorus when I had a noise conflict with another pedal with my previous simple supply, no noise with the brick and the new chorus either.

A fancy isolated supply costs dollars.

18. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    In theory the MXR Brick isn't much different from a 1-Spot apart from the significant additional cost, just that the daisy-chaining is happening on the inside of a box on the MXR rather than in a free cord on a 1-Spot and of course the addition of the 18 volt section (which you could make with any 18 volt wall wart and another daisy chain adaptor cable, or a second 1-Spot and a voltage doubler cable which will take 9 volts from each 1s-Spot). Lots of people run big pedalboards off of nothing but one or two 1-Spots with little noticeable noise or other issues- it all just depends on what you are using. I have had a handful of effects that just didn't work well for me without isolated power (some of the more glaring examples being the EHX Freeze, Small Clone, and Deluxe Memory Boy), and also several pedals that need or can be used with different voltages and polarities which easily justify the cost of a nice isolated supply for me (for most simple pedalboards the fully isolated Voodoo Iso-5 would work great and is actually cheaper than an MXR brick- and it has an 18 volt tap as well).

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might want to check out GigRig's modular system. You don't necessarily need their 'generator' PSU - It's quite expensive, so I'm using a much cheaper diago style brick - just ensure it supplies ample amperage.

The ditributers are wonderful - similar to a daisy chain, but much neater and easier to route around multiple pedals, and can be joined together to add more pedals. They also make a similar isolating device should any of your pedals need to be isolated. There's even a virtual battery for your vintage effects. Lastly, shoud any of your pedals need more than 9v, they make voltage convertors (although the Godlyke isopump might be better).

I know that reads like an advert - it's not - I'm just a very happy customer!

http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/Modular-Power-Supply.html