Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

building a cab for 10" speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kidvsking, Apr 19, 2003.

1. i have a legend b102 speaker lying around from i don't know where and i want to build a cab for it to use as an extension cab for my old squire practice amp (the amp actually sounds pretty good but the 8" speaker just isnt working out). does anybody have any suggestions for the dimensions i would use? i dont really want to get into the technical side of cab building, i just want to put this speaker to use, so if anyone knows dimensions that would work for the speaker or knows a good existing 110 cab that i can copy i would appreciate it. thanks

2. The B102 is very similar to the Delta 10 in its response. It does not have a lot of bottom end, but should be pretty punchy, and will have a great top end above 100 Hz.

It requires 0.59 cubic feet net volume tuned at 45 Hz. The driver occupies about 0.12 cubic feet, so increase the 0.59 to 0.71 cubic feet to allow for the driver displacement. Factor in a tiny bit more if you plan on using a lot of bracing.

The problem you will have is the size and length of the vent required to tune this very small box to 45 Hz. A 3" vent about 14" long made from PVC pipe will get you close. This calculates to about 0.07 cubic feet, which you add to the total volume.

The cab is 8.4" x 13.6" x 22.0" external dimensions, using Golden Rectangle ratios. 3/4" material, speaker board recessed 1.5". Port is 3.0" inside diameter, 13.75" long. Made from 3/4" MDF, the empty cabinet will weigh 23.9 pounds. Made from Baltic Birch, the cab will weigh 19 pounds. Add in more weight for the speaker (12 pounds), screws, bracing and the port.

3. hey, thanks for your help. i have a question, though, is that 8.4" width or depth? if its width, the speaker wont fit, and if its depth, the port wont fit

4. Those are Golden Rectangle ratio dimensions. You can change them around anyway you want, as long as the L x W x D total is the same.

If you use plastic PVC pipe, you can put a 90-degree elbow in the vent.