1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a cab--need Tolex tutorial

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emor, Oct 20, 2006.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Anything online?
    Pictures definitely a plus.

Special attention to how to handle corners with 1/2" roundover--both inside and outside.

Here is a rough sketch of the cab to give you an idea--except all corners are rounded over and cut-out is now centered on top:

Thanks.

2. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
  3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks.
    Very nice job.

I've been practicing with paper all morning and am getting closer, but I'm still getting a small gap on the outside corners--not a huge deal because it's getting metal corners, but I'd like to do as neat a job as possible.

The bigger problem is the inside corners--looks like I'll have to add a small triangle of material to cover that gap.
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

A pic of the actual cab:

4. Love the Marshall recovering tut - I am dying to see an SVT 810e recovering tut! Any chances of that happening?

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    That looks like a guitar cab.

6. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    A harmonica amp, to be exact.
    A friend is designing the electronics; I'm building the cab.

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I just checked out a Marshall guitar combo at a store with the same control panel configuration--that's exactly what they did.

8. I can write one up. That was a pain in the ass!:D
    With big square cabs, it's alot like wrapping a present. There are a couple of tricks to getting nice, clean lines on the back of the cab, which is far and away the hardest part, gluing the back panel on and then getting the folded over flaps to line up cleanly.
    C7