Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by x182, Jun 22, 2004.

1. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    would it be cheaper to build a custom cab and buy the drivers.

or to just buying a used one?

(yes yes. i know. )

2. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    or maybe find a raddy old cab and fix it up

3. I looked at doing this a few times... i don't think it works out any cheaper to build your own and it tends to be a big headache if your not experienced!

maybe restoring one would be cheaper... for me were i live it's damn expensive to get seperate parts aswell. You might be able to get stuff alot easier

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You usually don't save any money. Especially since Avatar started selling cabs with eminence speakers for less than what it costs to buy the parts.

Cab builiding is a lot of fun and very rewarding. Do it for the right reasons and you'll be happier. It's also a lot more scientific than just whacking a speaker into a wooden rectangle.

5. Only if you want some off the wall speaker configuration like an 18 a 12 and 2 8's or something. Other than that, what Petebass said.

6. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree with Petebass. I've built a bunch of cabs before and it's pretty fun (for me, at least) to saw wood and stuff, but I still use an Avatar when I gig. You can't beat their prices and you can't buy the Eminence woofers separately that he uses for the price of the whole cab. Unless you are looking for a strange rig or love to build stuff, just buy used gear or go Avatar. Sorry if it sounds like I'm a rep for them....I'm not...I'm just a happy customer!

7. my dad had some spare 15'' drivers he wasnt using so i built a cab, its cheap if you get the speakers for free.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. The speakers will always be the mosty expensive part. Some of the cab's I've built have been to accomodate speakers I had lying around doing nothing and that's worked out to be very economical.

But don't underestimate the cost of timber, handles, grilles, corner protectors, inputs panels, protective covering, crossover components etc........ that's assuming you already have all the tools you'll need.

9. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Kinda played around with it a while back and got ok results. If I were to do it now though I'd probably do it for more experimental reasons than anything else. You know, buy 2 identical 12's and build 2 completely different cabs and see which one sounds the best. Then, build another and put it up against the winner and so on and so on...Keep having shootouts 'till I get it right. That'd be pretty cool.

10. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    im just going to restore the 4x10 im buying...
    strip off the old carpet and put on a nice red carpet finish...to make it look original..plud i might get my brother whos an artist to spray paint a muroual (sp?) on the grill or something kool.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As a man who has built a custom cab, used cabs are cheaper.

12. i just built a 1x18 SWR driver'd cab. Got the driver cheap and thought what the hell!. Good thing is you can custom make it to what you want...ie transprot limitations or fitting it to your other cabs. The SWR Big Ben had a different footprint to the Labsystems i have so that was my one reason for doing it. Also added some of my own things to it...like wheels where I want them etc. It takes a while but can be rewarding.

Go to here for some info

www.diyaudio.com

13. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I think Petebass is a big foot. He came on the forum and said, "Gooney-googoo" Why is there a bigfoot on the forums Gus? Why Gus?

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D

Finally, someone who get's it.................

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Speaking of Avatar, are they avalible in Australia yet?

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nope. And Dave apparently has no plans to expand outside the USA.

If I had the guts, I'd start an Aussie business based on the Avatar model. If I had the guts that is.