Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpikeBeBop, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SpikeBeBop

SpikeBeBop

Jan 18, 2005
    Ugh, where do I start? Well I guess my question is 'Where do I start?' Pretty much any info in building my own cabinet would be apreciated. What I do know is I'd like a 4x10 maybe (tell me what you think) and I'm pretty confident in building it. If I get stuck I know people who would be happy to help me. Another question is, is this cheaper than just buying a cab? Is it worth building over buying? I'm pretty new to amp stuff more than I need to know to just plug and play if you know what I meen? So any help would be appreciated, and don't flame me if what I'm saying is stupid :rolleyes: Thanks guys.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Try looking at the stickied FAQ thread at the top of this forum, there's enough discussion on cab building there to keep you busy for a while! :cool:

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Where to start?:
    Download WinISD and plug in the speakers you want to use to figure out the proper cab dimentions and port lengths

Is it cheaper?:
    From what I've heard you'll be saving little but not much. It's not worth it if you're JUST building to save money.

Is it worth building over buying?:
    Depends. You get experience and learn more about speakers and cabs but it's not a big money saver. So again if you're trying to save money don't bother but if you want a neat project for experience and knowladge then go for it.

(I've actually never build a cab. I'm compiling this information from what I've read over and over again around here. If some of this information is false by all means correct me.)

4. SpikeBeBop

SpikeBeBop

Jan 18, 2005
    Ha, I've been so out of it today, can't believe I didn't see that :smug: Thanks.

5. If you download WinISD, get the Pro Alpha version instead of the beta. It has more driver specs already preloaded, and has more features.

Saving money: Well, this is a tough one. It is possible, but this depends on where you buy your speakers, how fancy you want your cabinet to look. Do you want the wire mesh grill, carpet or tolex, corner braces, handles, casters? All of these add a bunch to the final price of the cabinet. Good plywood isn't cheap either.
    If you were purchasing speakers from (let's say) Musician's Friend or similar, NO, you probably would not save any money over buying a prebuilt cabinet like something Avatar sells.

Building your own can be very rewarding. You can build a unique cabinet, that sounds like you want it to. It's complicated, but possible.
    I'm almost finished refitting an older Fender Bassman cabinet with 2-15s. You'll probably run across a post or two.

If you have any questions, just ask. I might have a few tips for you here or there..

Mag...

6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Don't do it just for the money, used cabinets are a dime a dozen out there, some of them even with really nice speakers in them.Many times I have practically given away nice cabinets because nobody was buying used cabinets(in my area at least).Check around.

7. SpikeBeBop

SpikeBeBop

Jan 18, 2005
    So should I just look in the recycler? I'd love to do this as a project but if I'm not going to save much maybe I'll just look into buying used and save me some time and energy. :bawl: I need money!