Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a Cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outofstep, Feb 13, 2002.

1. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    I know a woodworker who said he'd help me build a cab.... anybody have any designs or know where to get some? I'm looking for a 4x10...

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you have a specific design need, building your own may work for you, but with some trouble and expense.

If you are looking to save money this won't do it for you. Go to http://www.speakerhole.com and check their stuff out for cheap cabs. Or buy used on http://www.ebay.com or your local newspaper.

I build cabs myself. But I like to do it for fun. It's not cheap, and I am sure I would get better quality buying professionally made ones.

3. There are a number of speaker cab design programs on the Web: WINISD is one.

Run a search for WINISD and download the (free) prog.

John

4. I keep all this stuff on my site in the Reference Materials under MUSIC\SPEAKER ENGINEERING.

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The way I got started was by copying existing cabs (and I still do measure a lot of them for analysis). Pick a cab that you like, measure it inside and out, and have your cabinetmaker friend have a go at it. Tell him that void-free plywoods are best, something like 3/4" or 18mm 7-ply birch is the norm. He'll understand.

I'd recommend something with round ports or vents, as opposed to slotted vents, since they are easier to build and easier to tune. The rear-ported Bag Ends and Edens are good ones to emulate. However, if you clone a front-ported Eden or Aguilar exactly, the box should end up tuned pretty close to where you want it.

When you get to the speaker selection and tuning, let us know and we'll advise you on this phase.

Good luck!

Nightbass