Building a crossover: need help with mHenry inductor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Alright, I have an Avatar 2x10 Neo that I'm installing a crossover in. I've already replaced the capacitor and now I'm trying to figure out where to put the mHenry inductor.

Where should I put it?

The obvious choices (to my mind) are

1) on the actual HF horn's connectors, before the wires attach

2 on the "terminals" where the horn's wires go to (an input jack and onto the l-pad)

Will these locations work?

Thanks a ton!

Da Lady
  2. bump, I REALLY need help please!
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Either location will work as long as the inductor is connected in parallel with the tweeter, and on the tweeter side of the capacitor. So the most obvious place is straight across the tweeter terminals. I presume this is a 2nd order crossover on the tweeter? Are you crossing over the woofer as well?

4. It should be physically secured in some manner or it will eventually break the connecting wires due to vibration.
    A wire tie or RTV are usefull here. If it sits on any metal it needs to be isolated from the metal in some manner so it does not short out by rubbing the varnish off the coil wires.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, I agree with both posts so far.

Make sure one end of the inductor is connected to the positive wire, and the other end is connected to the negative wire. Place the inductor anywhere between the capacitor and the horn and you should be OK.