Building a custom amp (power or pre/both)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ballmasterflex, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Has anyone had any experience doing this? I'm thinking about doing it but I was wondering if the time and money is worth it and how it'll come out tonally. What schematics have been used? etc.

I apologize if this is a repeat. I tried searching for an existing thread and didn't come up with anything interesting.

:confused: :bag:
  2. Pre I am thinking of building as my dad has some really high quality Alice matchamps in the garage some where. Power amps, I really do not see the point, they are cheap as chips!

3. Depending on where you buy your chips of course
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    There is this recent thread....

If you "roll your own" you'll spend lots of time, more money than you can imagine with no guarantee of success and certainly no guarantee of any kind of resale value.

What do you want that commercially available gear can't provide?

Personally, I'd look for good used gear and if the mood strikes, consider modifying it to meet your needs rather than starting from scratch...
  5. sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    You can do it and you can put out some hellacious power of you think it over but it is NOT cheap. The only reason to do it is for something to do and if you like putting them togeather. You don't have the purchase power of the big amp builders for the individual parts.