1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a custom bass. what would you do.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FF29, Jul 10, 2012.

1. FF29

FF29

Jul 10, 2012
    Im having a buddy build me a bass. I play in a metalcore band out of upstate NY. Were touring and playing with national bands blah blah blah. So with that said, if YOU could build your own bass what would it be? what pickups, wood, bridge the whole nine yards. Right now i play a Fender telebass but looking for something to mess around on. what would you guys do!?

2. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Squier VM modified. P or J, your choice. Cheap, sounds great, won't feel bad about f**cking it up on tours

3. FF29

FF29

Jul 10, 2012
    Not too worried about the cost i still want something worth being built

4. I'd call Chris Stambaugh and tell him what I wanted it to look and sound like, and let him make the magic happen.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Two typical approaches, AFAIK, are to first check out what kind of tone, playability, features, aesthetics, and try to come up with a great, balanced design.
    The second is to copy one or two existing designs, usually with a twist.

Go nuts. Check out the Luthier's Corner for some good ideas: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/

6. Why does it matter what WE want when it's YOU who's looking for a bass? I am a man of many genres, but metalcore is not one of them so I doubt our dream basses are the same...

7. FF29

FF29

Jul 10, 2012
    just trying to get an idea sir lol

8. I don't know what your preferences are at all, but Somethings to consider for a highly gigged and toured bass would Weight, Strength of the wood (That thing is gonna get beat up and tossed around alot), and Looks. I don't subscribe to the wood makes a "HUGE" difference in tone crowd, but its makes up most of the important reasons why people love or hate certain basses.

Amount of strings, Scale length, PUP config is all something you're gonna have to figure out on your own from what you think you'd need.

If I were in your situation I'd get a 5 string 35'' scale 24 fret bolt on. MM pup in bridge and either another MM in neck or a Jazz pup. The 35'' scale will give you a super solid B string and the pups will give you super powerful punchy tone.
    I don't know much about different woods so I can't say much about that.

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    what ever you do, install 2 quad coil pickups, with a quality pre-amp. you'll have an army of sounds avaliable to you with just the flick of a switch(s).

10. welllll.......you asked, so here goes

i want a copy of Berry Oakley's "TRACTOR BASS" from back in the day with the Allman Brothers.

here is a rough drawing:

Davystractorbass--BerryOakleycopy.

it has 2 jazz pick ups at the bridge, the normal bridge pick up is in the regular position and the former neck pick up just above it.

the new neck pick up position will be occupied by an electar pick up, taken from a epiphone jack Casady bass, complete with the volume knob and impedance toggle.

the color will be bright canary yellow and the pick up covers will be white, as will the pick guard.

it will have separate volume controls for every pick up, and be an active bass (i haven't decided on the preamp i want yet, but Alembics are mighty tempting...:D

that's it

davesignatureII-1.

11. I wouldn't go custom for metal. I would get a Warwick.

12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    +1000

13. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    You guys are brutal. It's a message board, you don't have to read or respond....

All I can think of is long scale, dark wood, and sharp contours.. I'm sure other metalcore bassists will know what works well with the music..

14. That came off a bit harsher than I intended, what I mean is you're better off saying specifically what you're going for and then asking how to get to that point. I've bought (and subsequently been extremely unimpressed by) gear based only on what other people say about it, without thinking about what may be best for me. Just trying to save you some hassle, and more importantly, money! :D

15. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I'm assuming you're asking what our dream custom basses would be, and not trying to choose for you like the above posters.

I'd get a hollowbody mahoghany frame, similar to the vintage Peavey T-40's but more contoured. Finish: a shiny Inca Silver.

The neck would be pure maple with glossy oil finish, and the same Peavey T-40 headstock with lollipop tuners.

Pickups would be one bridge vintage Hagstrom Darkstar and one modern neck Chi-Sonic pickup. Electronics would be passive/active with the ability to run either pickup or a (controllable) blend of the two.

As a weird quirk, I would have an additional electronic function: there would be a Boss Slow Gear-esque auto-volume effect built into the bass, able to be switched on and off and with a controllable rate.

That would be the perfect bass for any music I'd play.

16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    If I was having somebody custom-build me a bass, I'd ask for something that's functionally a P-bass, but looks totally wild. I'd probably go with two identically configured fretted 4-string necks - the second one is just for looks! Granted, I already have a bass like that, but I wouldn't mind having two. Nothing exceeds like excess. Nothing is as redundant as redundancy.

For metalcore I'm guessing you're playing one set a night, so the extra weight of a doubleneck bass shouldn't be a problem. I can play a three-set gig on mine, no problem, and I'm still moving around a lot by the end of the third set.

17. FF29

FF29

Jul 10, 2012
    well its more to support a friend of what hes doing. hes built some extremely impressive guitars but im going to be his first bass. I have a hard on for my telebass so odds are this will be something to use as a back up on the road and such

18. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    If it's a backup that's largely going to sit on a stand on stage, that's all the more reason to make it look wild.

19. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
    I would go very simple. P-bass with kent armstrong pickup and piezo bridge. Four strings, all maple lefty neck with black blocks. Swamp ash body. That's about it.

In fact i have bass like that except the piezo and swamp ash body.

20. if your intent on going custom I would go

body: Mahogany or Ash (Mahogany will have a deep punch, Ash will have a more mid punch).
    Neck: maple
    Fretboard: Wenge or Maple (Wenge deep punch, Maple - upper mid punch)

Pickups - JJ you can get an array of tones with a JJ (Jason Newsted played a Sadowsky JJ)

Preamp - Sadowsky - very aggressive sounding.

High Mass Bridge like a BAII.

Or just buy a Stingray or a Warwick FNA Jazzman which has a MM & J Pickups config - ash/wenge punch.