1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"building" a custom fish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fish man, Apr 14, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Need some input on a custom that I plan to do.
    I need a new bass, and I know what I want, but it doesn't really exist for sale. So I think I'll have the body and neck made professionally, and do the putting together myself.

The concept is as follows:

24 fret neck
    block inlay
    white binding
    Tele-bass style headstock
    maple neck
    maple fretboard
    classic Fender open-back tuning machines
    Musicman truss rod wheel
    6-bolt attachment
    1 1/2 to 2 1/2 fretboard profile

Ash body (?)
    MM brige pup
    Jazz neck pup
    3-band active pre-amp
    Gotoh bridge
    active/passive switch
    '51 P-style control plate
    no pickguard
    blonde trans finish
    P body shape

So I want some classic Fender vibe, but i dig the 'ray growl, so I want to somewhat duplicate that sound.
    I'm thinking the scale might be a bit longer, to accomodate the 24 frets on a P body.
    I would either have the body completely made according to spec, make it myself from a blank or have it made into shape and do the routing on a CNC router I have access to.

2. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    things i forgot:

the bridge will have a string-through-body option

and what kind of body wood do you find on a 'ray?

and who would you recommend to build the neck?

and finish: DIY or take it in to the pros? (butterscotch blonde trans)

3. fishcontour.

FISH!!!!

4. That looks quite high quality.

lowsound

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i was gonna say something to that effect.

6. well, its not mine... but ill take credit if you want to...

i remembered this in the "wheres the beef?" thread...

and im still not understanding the question on this thread... or wheter is just kinda like "this is what im doing tell me what you think"

if its the latter, i think its great that youve got your mind made up so well...

24 frets on a p body is probably going to mess things up... as well as a 6 bolt neck (unless there going to be really close...

if you buy a warmoth neck, they can make you a tele style 24 fretter, but the way it works is that it still fits into the standard fender pocket, but theres an over hang for the extra 3 or 4 frets...

just wanted to share knowlage! (and im pretty sure thats not how you spell it!)

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I think fish man is referring to a stingray ;)

Thanks for the compliment on the quality and sorry BassMan257, but I'm taking credit for that piece of woodwork :cool:

It's a wierd one, but it turned out well. The lines on the fingerboard are reflections from the blinds, it's really a fretless.

biteme.

8. those would be some really wierd frets... but i could digit...

and the finished product looks really nice too...

any problems with neck dive? looks a bit skinny to me...
    but hey... what do i know?

well.. to answer the question myself... I dont...

9. Post more pictures of that bass, please.

lowsound

10. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Didn't mean to hijack fish man's thread, here's a link to the original thread I had started: Let's make a fish!

I have a ton of pics and will post more on the old thread if you want :D

11. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    No, thats just the nickname me and my guitarist have for a bass guitar. I though that I picked it up on these forums, but I guess not. Anyways, I basically am trying to build a Stingray, but not quite.

12. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, the thread is mainly "tell me what you think", as well as me needing a good place who can build me a neck.

As for the P body, I'm going to build the body myself (I've decided). To fit the 24 frets, I'm going to have the bridge closer tho the neck (still with a 34" scale) and the bottom cutaway a little deeper and the neck heel a bit longer. I'll try to do up a sketch tp show you what I mean. The P-bass bopdy is sort of just a starting point because that's one I'm really comfortable with.