Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a dream rig-and problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MypartnerStinks, Jul 9, 2001.

1. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    I want a great bass rig. I am thinking of getting a high quality, maybe Eden, 2 or 4x10. My problem is I don't have the money to get a cab and an amp at this point. So I was wondering as a temporary solution if i could power the cab using a guitar amp head, crate head with 120watts min load 2 ohms. Would this hurt either the speakers or the head? I would only be using this set up at moderate to low volumes. This way i could bring the eden cab with me during band practice and run it off my friends rig.
    I am using his rig right now which consists of a Gibson!! of all things 450watt bass amp, 1 generic 15" cab and 1 peavey 2x15 cab. It sounds good but is very muddy, as i supposed you could imagine with 3 15"s. I figure if i drop the generic 15 and add a nice 2 or 4 ten cab it should sound fairly sweet. Eventually i could get a nice head add a 15 or something and be set. Bad idea?