1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a dream rig-and problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MypartnerStinks, Jul 9, 2001.

1. MypartnerStinks

MypartnerStinks

Jun 19, 2001
    I want a great bass rig. I am thinking of getting a high quality, maybe Eden, 2 or 4x10. My problem is I don't have the money to get a cab and an amp at this point. So I was wondering as a temporary solution if i could power the cab using a guitar amp head, crate head with 120watts min load 2 ohms. Would this hurt either the speakers or the head? I would only be using this set up at moderate to low volumes. This way i could bring the eden cab with me during band practice and run it off my friends rig.
    I am using his rig right now which consists of a Gibson!! of all things 450watt bass amp, 1 generic 15" cab and 1 peavey 2x15 cab. It sounds good but is very muddy, as i supposed you could imagine with 3 15"s. I figure if i drop the generic 15 and add a nice 2 or 4 ten cab it should sound fairly sweet. Eventually i could get a nice head add a 15 or something and be set. Bad idea?