1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

building a fretless (which p'up)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jul 28, 2012.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have decided to build a fretless bass after years of playing upright and loving the freedom of a totally blank finger board. I will be using Warmoth for the body and neck. Here is what I have planned so for.

Alder body (chambered)
    Maple/Ebony neck (unlined)
    one pickup passive with only one volume knob

I am looking at either a single coil (pre '57) Pbass p'up as they seem to have a more open raw tone to them or something that sounds similar but only looking at a one p'up set-up.

P.S. this will be 32" scale and I'll be running TI Flats

2. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I'm thinking about doing something like this also. Anyone have any pointers? Answer this dude's questions! haha

3. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    In my experience you'll probably want some type of humbucking pickup. The hum will drive you crazy! I think I understand the type of tone you're going for so probably a slim type of HB as opposed to a Music Man style wide aperture pickup. As for a brand...man there are so many to choose from! I have had awesome luck with my Dimarzio Model J DP123 set in my custom Warmoth/Moses fretless J bass.

I'd also humbly suggest a tone control. Amazing how much more useful it seems on a fretless bass.

Where do you plan to place the pickup?