Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a guitarstand?(!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Aug 2, 2002.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

Recently my room was covered by three ordinary single guitar stands (one electric bass, one ABG and one classic guitar). I wanted to reduce the space taken by my guitars. Warwicks Rockstand seemed to be that guitar stand I wanted, but I thought it would be nice to build one myself.
    The only website on "buliding a stand" that I found was:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~shane/rockguitarworld/tips/buildstand.html
    But I wanted a nice wooden guitarstand. My design followed the theme and I came up with this:
    (see attachment)
    This is bulit in 22 mm MDF-board and ø27 mm wooden round bar. I have painted the stand in black and fitted the round bar with black goat leather.

Have anyone of you in TalkBass made your own guitarstand?

/MrBaloo

2. Never tried to build one, but that sounds like a good little project. It will be much nicer than those standard stands all of us undoubtly have in our bedrooms, livingrooms, tv rooms, etc ...

Post a pic if you complete the project -
    K

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Looks like a good design to me.

I'd build one, but goat leather is so expensive here.

:D

I use String Swing wall hangers to get my basses out of the way. They look like works of art when you're not playing them. Of course, you can't bring a wall hanger to shows. For live I use a folding stand that fits in my case.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have completed the project, but my pictures have not come out of my analog camera yet. Until my pictures are developed from negative I hope a VRML-file is good enough (inside zip-file)!

/MrBaloo

BTW: I don't think this kind of project will be cheaper than e.g. a Rockstand. I bought about four times MDF board and about two times as much goat leather than needed (due to misscalculation or so). Then I had to "invest" some money in paint and some tools... But the result is about what I wanted the stand to be like.

5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    :rolleyes:
    Ok! Here the promised image of the stand comes...

/MrBaloo

6. Sweet man - that thing looks great!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nicely done, mrbaloo.

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I just made to J shapes put them together with hinges, and some felt to protect the instruments, and it works very well.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Originally posted by mrbaloo
    [​IMG]

Looks like you've got the beginnings of a tidy little home-based business! Nice job!

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Nice, 8 hangers for USD$20! Have you got some pictures of the hangers?

/MrBaloo

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok! I think that is a very nice way to build your own wall guitar hanger. You have total control to customise the size, i.e. how many guitars and distance between them.

/MrBaloo