Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a hand cart

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Apr 9, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, any of you guys ever build a cart to put your cabs on? Like 4 boards and some big casters? My school has a few things like this but they are bought, and i was wondering if anyone made these themselves?

Im thinking about making one with my dad to put my cab on for transport and to remove it at the gig.

good idea? let me know what you think. or if you made one and have some tips to offer because all i was gunna do was go to a home store get some lumber and some strong casters with big wheels to roll over stuff. Measure the cab to make the frame as big as the cab. And that would be it.

any ideas?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They only cost $20. Why bother?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You mean a dolly? A million years ago when I was in college, I made a dolly with a piece of 3/4 in. plywood, covered in an extra piece of beautiful :rollno: green carpet that we used in the dorm room and slapped some swivel castors on the bottom. Works great, I still have it.

However, when hauling gear around, I use one of my two hand trucks, either the big industrial sized one with pneumatic tires for rolling through my yard or the foldable one that travels with me. Both of these came from The Home Depot.

4. Have you thought about a hand truck, rather than a dolly platform?

A handtruck will roll your cargo over grass, gravel, door thresholds, up / down curbs, and even makes small stairs easier. Just a thought.

5. My school has one of these too, the thrill of flying across the dining room on the back of the PA is something you cant get on a sack trolley. :D