Building a homemade bass amp...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jean, Feb 7, 2006.

1. greetings, ladies and gentlemen! i haven't been on this site for about 2 or 3 years, and i really loved it while i was here. i'm just getting the chance to return, so thanks in advance for any help that you can offer. :) and yes, i did run a search on this and came up empty-handed. it IS possible i was searching for the wrong thing, but...

ok, question is this... i'm looking to build a small amplifier out of easy-to-acquire electronic parts. of course, i'm going to use my bass through it (please read, tone quality for this DOES NOT MATTER! :D ) and power doesn't much matter either. i'm talking 10 watts or less. this is pretty much just going to be something battery-operated (if it has to be plugged in, that's fine) and very frankinstien-y! it's partially for an experiment and yes, partially for studio use. i'm in a very experiemental project at the moment, but i have very little experience with building electronics.

i'm hoping that if no one can give me the line-for-line instructions how to do it, then perhaps someone can direct me to where those instructions are. i just got this idea tonight.

can ya help me cure this disease? thanks in advance.

2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Do a search for do-it-yourself kits. I know they are out there. I made a 1 watt amp with my dad back in the day, and just recently he made it again with my little brother.
  3. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Pick up a sonic impact 5066. You'll find all kinds of sites that show details in taking one apart and putting it in a new case.

It's class-d so the batteries will last a long(er) time.
    If you really want to solder, check out the amps at 41hz:

You can't "bridge" these amps, so you'll need to leave one side disconnected, or use two speakers.

You can parallel the outputs of the Amp6 at 41hz into one speaker.

For the pre-amp, I also just recommend picking up one of the cheap Behringer pre-amps - they sound very good and are built well. If you have an active bass you won't need it.

Pick up a copy of Winisd to design the speaker box.