Building a J bass with a P neck. Suggestions for improvements?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dnp41, Sep 14, 2017.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    So as some of you might have seen, I started a thread "recommend a non-P bass for a P-bass lover" and had a few response suggesting either a PJ or a J with a P neck. At this point I'm strongly considering putting together a parts bass to create my J with a P neck. Here's my draft plan:

- Fender American Precision Neck (RW): EUR 459
    - Schaller BM Light tuners: EUR 79
    - Fender High Mass Bridge: EUR 33
    - EMG JV52's: EUR 149
    - Fender Standard (MIM) Jazz bass body (artic white): EUR 239
    - small parts like pickguard, control plate, knobs etc: EUR 65
    Total: EUR 1.025

Check and setup by luthier if required: EUR 250 (worst case to correct mistakes I might have made and correct huge set-up issues)

there are also two options to either save money or spend a bit more.
    A MIM neck will save me EUR 160
    A MIA body will cost me an additional EUR 210

I know it's always uncertain how good a bass will be, but do you think this build at least would have some potential?

All parts are new since I'm not in the US and don't have access to the same kind off used market as apparently some of you guys have. It's very uncommon to see a Fender neck up for sale without a body attached to it.

2. Sounds like a pretty solid plan. As far as getting used parts, have you tried checking the US eBay? There's all kinds of fender part's on there, and I'm sure someone would be willing to ship to you.

3. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    yes, but with import taxes and that sort of things it is pretty expensive. For instance I checked to buy a body from "stratosphere", list price $ 179. After shipping and taxes: EUR 325

4. Wow. Nevermind.....

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021