Building a Jazz/mosrite style neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jaguarcat311, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Im planning on building my own neck for a bass body i just bought, most likely a very dark mahogany fretboard, and since im makin it, i might as well make it unique. If anyone has ever seen or heard of the old mosrite guitars with the angled frets, instead of the frets being perpendicular to the fretboard, the frets are about 15 degrees slanted from what they normally are, so when your bass (or guitar) is strapped on, the neck usually points slightly upward, maybe 15 degrees, so you get the picture, you dont have to turn your hand to play. makes the action a bit faster i suppose. anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this let me know. it might be a bit hard to do (putting the frets it diagonally).
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Never knew about Mosrite doing that. Rickenbacker had some guitar models that way.

While the angled frets are an ergonomic advantage at the frets out by the head, they will feel harder to play up by the body. Just pick up an instrument and try it.

A better solution would be to do a Novax fanned fret board, which adjusts the angles to pretty much rotate around your elbow point.
  3. That looks really tough to do, each string being a different scale length, really neat idea though. suppose i could buy a novax fanned fretboard and put it the neck i make
  4. A mahogany fretboard may be a tad soft...