1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a nice bass rig on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mbart203, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    Hey guys,
    So I have a Carvin BX600 head but currently no cabs, I was borrowing a couple Bagend 115s which were great.

I have a new Rumble 100 for practice at home which is very good.

I play on the worship team of my church and the equipment is all supplied there so no problems.

However I want to build up a rig in order to get a band started.
    I'm leaning toward two 8 ohm cabs, a 115 and a 210.
    I'm looking for good bang for my buck.
    Been looking at Hartke XLs and Hydrives.

But now I'm thinking why not stick with Fender Rumbles.
    I can throw my Carvin bx600 on a Rumble 115 & 210 or I can pickup a Rumble 500 combo and pair it with a rumble 115.
    With this Setup I can probably just sell the Rumble 100.

I'm looking for a tight punchy yet warm sound.
    I'm going to experiment with using separate eq and I have a Sansamp Bass Driver Di (programmable)

I'd love to hear some advice from guys with much more experiance and knowledge than myself
    Thanks.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My advice?

Stay away from the two different cabs. Get yourself either one good 4 ohm 4-10 or two MATCHING 8 ohm 2-10 cabs.

Mixed drivers are a crapshoot. There are too many threads about it here. Do a search.

As far as stretching your money?

Used Carvin gear is SUPER cheap.
    The Peavey 4-10 TVX is kind of heavy, but is the most underrated cab you will ever find. You can find them crazy cheap and they sound fantastic.

I recently got a used Epifani UL410 (superb cab) for way under $400 used. Very light and loud as crap. Great tone too. I can't imagine needing more cab than that at any show.

The deals are out there....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I think you should either go with two 210s stacked verticallly, or two 115s. What brand is a matter of taste.
    Or, if you like building stuff, look at a fEarful 15/6.

AstroSonic and Munjibunga like this.
  4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Rumble cabs are well matched, and there are several good examples of folks running different combinations of 210s, 115s and 112s. That said, I'd stick with matching cabs for the most part. If you get a Rumble 500 combo, the 210 cab will be a perfect match, as will a 115 with the 200 combo. The 112 is made to match both the 500c and 200c well, though, and I hear good reports about the performance. Head over to the Rumble Club, and you'll get all the information you need.

Aqualung60, BadExample and Linnin like this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, matching cabs.

shoot-r and reggie hall like this.
  6. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    How exactly do the clubs around here work?
    Are there separate pages

7. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    I did some poking on the thread about vertical 210s. Very interesting, I'll have to dig more into that.
    How exactly are they that much better then a 410?

8. Every way. Read through the thread.

9. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    I will thanks. I like the idea of portability with double 210s also

shoot-r likes this.
  10. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Rumble 500combo + 210 or 112 or rumble 200combo +115 or 112

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the vertical 210 rig my own self although I get way too lazy to set it up anymore :D

Rich Fiscus and 40Hz like this.
  12. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Ever heard of Rev Sound? You may like what they're up to. :thumbsup:

bherman likes this.
  13. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    +1 to this on both counts. I love the sound of mine, and it is heavy as heck. Built like I tank. I think I paid $120 for it. I almost picked up another one for $175, but I found an Eden 610 cab in mint condition at a price I couldn't pass up.

14. Heyturnup

Heyturnup

Mar 28, 2016
    idaho
    Another vote for matched cabs.

15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Just follow the link below:
    Fender Rumble Club

16. This, end of thread. Carvin BR115 boxes are super-cheap, readily available, and sound pretty darn good. Not to mention, the boxes are solid and can be reloaded with "good/new" speakers for literally decades to come. Same exact scenario for Peavey TX, TFX, and TVX series. All are old and heavy but sound awesome.

andruca and InhumanResource like this.
  17. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    You like the Bag Ends you borrowed, keep your eyes on the used market. BEs are often very good values used. You know they will sound good...

andruca likes this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Carvin makes a really nice 115 cab that is compact, light, and around $300 (sometimes less during promotions) that I would be checking out in your position. A pair of those might do a fella good.

19. I'm running a Carvin micro for my "small" rig. 1x15 box weighs #30, and is currently on sale for $195 or so. They're really tight and punchy, just not super-deep sounding. Good stuff though, just depends what tone you're going after