1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a p-bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by alexbassman, Apr 2, 2013.

1. alexbassman

alexbassman

Aug 5, 2011
    So instead of buying a new bass i've decided to take an old silvertone p-bass body I had lying around and rebuild a bass from it. Now i've already painted the body with the first coat of paint (didn't take any before pictures like I probably should of, only after.) If you wanna know how the body looked before imagine a deep purplish blue where its been sanded down to bare wood almost everywhere.

Now what I would like from you people are suggestions on which bridge, neck, and pickup I should buy.

Im thinking maybe a mightymite rosewood neck and a basslines quarter pounder SPB-3 pickup.

Suggestions?

Also if anyone is interested I will post pictures for the remaining steps

Attached Files:

2. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr

Jul 31, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Yes please keep posting. What type of paint and color is that?

3. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Sweet!!! An orange p I've always wanted an orange p

4. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Yeah, please post the rest. Looks good so far...

5. alexbassman

alexbassman

Aug 5, 2011
    The paint would be Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover.
    The color is Gloss Real Orange.

6. alexbassman

alexbassman

Aug 5, 2011
    Also ill be putting new pictures up soon.

I just need to buy more paint and clear coat. Im also waiting on some money so I can order the parts, so im still open to suggestions.

7. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    An orange p with a maple neck and black binding and inlays would be gorgeous

8. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Or white binding and inlays either would look great black may be too halloweenish

9. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    I'm also beginning a P-bass build (got the body, bridge, ashtrays, and pickguard on the way). I'm not sure what type of sound you're going for, but I'm doing a fender high-mass bridge, SD Antiquity II pickups, and probably a warmoth fretless birdseye maple tele neck

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Worth checking first to see the exact dimensions of your neck pocked to ensure a fender compatible neck will work, otherwise, the pocket will need to be reworked and the body repainted. I'd actually stop there in the refinish and wait until you have everything else in hand to ensure you can mock this thing up. Once you know everything fits, then finish the finish...