1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a Parts Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grant22, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    This might be in the wrong forum, but I am thinking about trying to put together a bass, probably warmoth, but I am sure that if I did it myself it wouldn't turn out right. I was wondering if anyone could recommend someone in the Orlando area that could do it/

Thanks
    Grant

2. Are you asking for input on building a parts bass or are you asking for a recommendation as to someone that will build you a bass from Warmoth parts?

I have built several Warmoth/USA Custom Guitars parts basses. While the experiences have been enjoyable and educational, I would highly recommend someone save the time and the money and go and find a fender type bass that you like and buy it (I say fender type bass because, that is basically what all the parts basses are - fender types...ok I know you have some pickup and body shape options, but you guys know what I mean). Get a MIJ/CIJ fender that you can later put nice aftermarket pickups in and you will be much happier with the end result and will have saved a lot of money and frustration.

3. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    that sounds like a much better idea, thanks

Grant

4. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Another option, that's somewhere between those two is to buy Fender parts from eBay and assemble the bass yourself. All the holes are drilled for you, so it's just a matter of screwing everything together, and if you're going with passive electronics, there's minimal soldering.

I built a Strat this way and it was a lot of fun.

There are several eBay stores that sell Fender parts. This one's my favorite: The STRATosphere.