1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a pedal board..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SCT1422, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I'm putting together a pedal board and want to get opinions as to what order I should have everything.. I have a EBS OctaBass and UniChorus, 3 Leaf Audio and Demeter Compulater.. My feeling would be Compressor into OctaBass into 3 Leaf and end with the UniChorus...

2. well i personally would put a compressor at the end of my chain as to compress my fx too, but you dont have to put it that way, its your choice. i know this is cliched, but put it the way you want, test it out, see what you like :p

also, do you have an fx loop in your amp?

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Some people like to put their compressor after the filter to tame it down a bit, but I'm not sure the 3 Leaf needs it from the demos I've seen.

4. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Both of my rigs have effects loops.. My big rig has the Summit Audio 2BA-221 for a pre amp.. I contacted Summit Audio and they mentioned putting the pedals before the preamp, not in-between the preamp and my IP-153...
    My smaller rig is a Mesa Scout 15, not sure to use the effects loop or input...
    I always thought the compressor should be first in-line.. I may not be using it full time, maybe just for slap etc...

5. mako

mako

Apr 4, 2007
    istanbul
    putting octaver and chorus and etc to an order is mostly a matter of taste but its only a little bit different for the compressors. as you know compressor keeps the signal in a dynamic range that you assign so if you're using a pedal that uses dynamic range (for ex. autowah) that pedal should go into compressor. otherwise that pedal doesnt work properly if you like much compression

6. I have a rack compressor so obviously my compressor is after effects. If I had a pedal version I think I would have it after all effects. As Mako said autowahs don't respond like they should with a compressed signal. I tend to believe that thinking might apply to other pedals also. I would rather give my pedals the full on signal before compressing.

7. I just generally like my compressor after all the effects. I feel it reigns everything in. Although, it could help tracking if it was before the 8ve pedal

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I wouldn't put the comp before the envelope filter, it gets in the way of you controlling the filter with your fingers. I would go Octabass > Groove Regulator > Compressor > Unichorus.

9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Do you guys ever go preamp > compressor > power amp?

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I prefer:
    wah's, auto wah's, envelopes first, then compressor, then dirt, then everything else. Dirt acts as a compressor (and I like dirt) so my comp is not used often.

But hey, everyones setup, style, etc is different. EXPERIMENT ! ! !