1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a pedalboard on a Budget

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheShreddingE, Sep 25, 2008.

1. TheShreddingE

TheShreddingE

May 4, 2008
    I am looking to start collecting pedals as i have a good bass and amp and want to do more with my sound?

can you please post a cheap pedal, what it does, how much and how useful it is.

2. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    we'll probably ask first, what kinda music you play. and what you want to do more with your sound =p

first of all. a tuner would be pretty cool place to start with. playing in tune =)

3. TheShreddingE

TheShreddingE

May 4, 2008
    I already have a tuner

I play funk and blues and jazz.

I was thinking of a wah, a loop station and a chorus

4. doesnt say where you are but in aus land ibanez pedals come cheaper than most and are pretty useful still,... the weeping demon wah pedal is awesome!
    only downside is its big and the battery box on the side means hard to fit on some pedal boards...

ive gotten away with using only that and the Ibanez Phat Hed 7 in a band setting ,... PH7 is an overdrive and distortion in one but I usually use it for overdrive,... lots of useful sounds for me in that box tho

only other thing I can think of is the boss pedals though some of those an get pricey the chorus is nicely priced tho,... I want to get an RC2 looper pedal but they are still not cheap!

oh and funk, can always get an autowah? I dont like them much tho but I think theres a few brands that do them in low price range...

5. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    +1 on the weeping demon. Very tweakable; you can adjust just about every parameter imaginable for a wah.

If you really want cheap, check out behringer. I haven't tried them, but apparently the bass distortion mimics the sansamp tone pretty well, and costs practically nothing. Other threads support this comparison.

6. Zoom B2.1u. $180

It's a multi effects pedal with pretty decent effects throughout (not great, but not bad), a balanced out, usb connectivity, an expression pedal, and will give you a fair idea of what you will actually use if you decide to upgrade. You can also get a B2 for $100, but it doesn't have the usb, DI, or the expression pedal. It can be frustrating when you think you want a certain sound, you acquire a pedal, then you find that exact sound in your head isn't what you like when it's coming from your fingers.

Don't get a Zoom unless it is a B2 or a B2 with a bunch of 1s Us and/or Ts after it. The old Zoom multi pedals sucked like a six year old on a Burger King milkshake, really hard and with no good result.

7. LOL sigged!!!

8. Lakland55

Lakland55

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I just picked up a used Boss Chorus pedal recently for $50 and its fantastic for vaious settings, I have no complaints.