building a project bass, and I'm looking for opinions re: aesthetics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tragos, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Keep the blank headstock jazz neck on it

5 vote(s)
  2. Put the Fender decal on the jazz neck

2 vote(s)
  3. Use the Fender MIM Precision neck

1 vote(s)
  4. Cover the bass in gasoline and burn it, capturing the whole process on video, and make it an "art pr

4 vote(s)
  1. tragos

tragos Guest

I've been working on a "project" bass out of old/cheap parts as a project for fun and as a backup bass. This is *not* a bass that I'm building to sell. I've come to a point where I wanted to get opinions on which path to take next.

First, here's where the bass is now: Shoreline Gold jazz bass body (agathis--from a MII Squier) with a four-ply tort pickguard from Stew-Mac. I have shielded the body with shielding paint and ground wires, and the pickguard/control plate with foil. I rewired everything with new pots and cap. Fender Vintage bass bridge. Fender Vintage J-bass pickup at the neck (original Squier pickup at the bridge for now). Fender bridge cover (I've been using felt mutes on top of the strings as an experiment, hence the bridge cover). New nut, new tuners (Stew-Mac "economy" bass tuners). TI flats.

The question I have is about the neck. Right now it has a pretty good maple jazz neck with rosewood fretboard. I had a good luthier clean up the frets and nut, and while it's not perfect, it plays pretty well and with minimal buzz. It has a bigger 70s headstock with no logos/numbers of any kind. I am trying to decide whether to (1) replace the neck with a Fender MIM reissue Precision neck that I have and like, (2) put a Fender Jazz bass decal that I have on the neck that is on it now, or (3) leave the neck on it blank.

I like both Precision and Jazz necks, so the nut width issue isn't really a big deal for me. Both necks are about the same size other than that. If I really preferred the feel of one neck over the other, this would be easy--but they're both good, and I don't really have a preference between the two. So, I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any opinions on what would look best, any arguments why the current neck is better blank than with a decal (or vice versa), etc.
  2. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    make your own decal and put it on the neck. Just take your initials or first name and put little dingbats around it.
  3. tragos

tragos Guest

Good advice--thanks. (But now, of course, I'll have to be *patient*, which is always difficult where basses/gear are concerned!)

I'm in Knoxville, home of some pretty good bands, way too few good music stores, and an unbelievable amount of orange . . .