Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building a rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 14, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've been hunting around online with info on how to build one, plans, etc, and i can't find anything!!!

also - where are some places i could buy the necessary latches, handles, corners, etc?

2. Link to Penn Fabrication

Link to TCH

Link to Parts Express

Both have a minimum $50 order, or they add a $10 surcharge.

If you are building, pay attention to weight. My rack is very heavy at nearly 150 pounds, so I'm in the process of splitting it into two racks.

Consider the SKB racks, as you can get them pretty cheap on eBay without the hassle of building your own. The downside is no rear rails in many of the commercial racks. This is nice for securing heavy amps, and mounting standard bars for output jacks, etc.

The SKB is rated at 69 pounds maximum weight. A pair of 4RU are much easier to move around than a single 8RU that is fully populated.

You will need rack rails. The rack cabinet is 19.0" wide and and rails mount to the sides of the cabinet. I've seen guys bypass rails and use a wood block instead, then use drywall screws to mount the equipment in the rack. This weighs less, but is kind of tacky.