Building a Rack; daydreaming at work.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EricssonB, Aug 26, 2013.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.

Hey TB!

Just another hard day at the office, daydreaming about building the portable rack setup when I'm out of debt next year. Bass will be an EBMMSR5HH because I am auditioning to replace Flea.

Looking for input!

This is what I came up with, based around an 8RU:

1--[POWER DISTRIBUTION]..............gotta run the thing.
    2--[TUNER]..................................gotta tune the thing.
    3--..............................................not sure yet. Maybe a wireless?
    4--[AUDIO INTERFACE].....................balance of recording/mixing needs.
    5--[POWER AMP] ........................for PA needs, or pushing the cabs when the Session isn't enough.
    6--[POWER AMP]
    7--[AMP]....................................I already own this. Not hugely powerful, but hey, I own it. For home use.

2. famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    A full, 8 space-rack is pushing the definition of "portable" ;)

Yeah, go for the wireless.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

The 6U rack I used to gig was too big... 8 is massive to lug around.

I personally would go with a higher powered poweramp (XLS2000 is a great one) and a powerstrip instead of a power conditioner.
  4. EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Wireless sounds rad, but perhaps a luxury? Luxuries are fine whilst daydreaming.

Good point on the size. Should have mentioned that the rack will have wheels and a handle, and will surely not be atop two 115s; staying on the ground.

--higher power power amp
    --power strip -- but I was hoping to keep it neat and tidy!
  5. Transport is easy when you are lifting with a pencil.
    Carting about a big mutha rack, power amps, accesories, 3/8" plywood, metal rails... gets damn heavy.

In this case, they do NOT get better looking at closing time.
  6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Get a 4U rack unit. Crown running from the Peavey pre-amp if you must but probably better with a purpose built pre pushing the Crownrather than carting a redundant power amp about. Need the Crown for PA duties? Belongs in the PA rack then doesn't it?

Get a power strip and mount it in the back of the rack, likewise the wireless. Rack mount tuner? Meh...stomp box or multi FX tuners are much simpler, you can do it without turning your back on the audience.

You can cram all that functionality into 4U or even 3U if you went for a 1U pre instead of the Peavey
  7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Edit: Forgot, about the audio interface...why??? Isn't that the mixer's job?
  8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have a 4U Shallow rack and it sucks moving it around.

You're going to need a preamp to run with the power amp.

Why the interface? It's not needed in a live bass rig at all.
  9. famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Wait, the Peavey is a full amp (and not just a preamp?)

Oy vey... a rig this size might have been necessary in the 80s, but most modern amps can accomplish 90% of this with 10 pounds. I'll take a high-powered micro any day, thanks..
  10. Fill that last 1U space with the DD-301

My ultimate rack would be 6u and all...

FUNK LOGIC! One of each...
    Palindrometer 3U

AP-302 Algorhythmic Prosecutor 2U

DD-301 Digilog Dynamicator 1U

OR... Get some burnt out rackmount gear from the local radio station and strip the guts, wire up some LEDs for the switches and ta dah, funky stuff!.

Seriously. A six space rack with built-in wheels & telescoping handle that has nothing inside but room for cables/mics/a micro bass amp head and a mini pedal board. Beats a milk crate for transporting gear and looks so much cooler on stage.

11. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I play live with my band.
    We do top 40 hits with different genres and decades.
    My 6u rackmount gear is all I need.

1. Monster power conditioner. (Peace of mind) don't scold me!

2. Korg DTR-2000 Tuner

3. Shure Wireless (only if I'm needed in the front by the singer or guitarist)

4. GK 2001RB (360w @ 4ohms) or (1080w bridged @ 4ohms outside gig with no FOH)

All I ever need for awhile!

Here's a picture!

Attached Files:

12. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I split my rig into two racks: 1 for the preamp, compressor, and wireless, the other for the power amp. Easier to lug two separate racks. As well, if I do an ampless gig (just monitors), I can take the preamp rack without lugging the power amp along.
  13. EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    -- The Peavey will be primary to push the cabs when I am at home and just messing around.
    -- The power amp is to have a whole lot of extra power for when it's needed, like at a gig and the Peavey doesn't push enough; its line-out will go to the power amp.
    -- The interface is for easy mixdown to a recording device or full PA system.

This setup is not to push a full PA. Bass rig primarily, with provisions for headroom and easy-to-configure recording. I like the interface in that I don't have to mess around with EQs and all of those extra knobs that I don't use on my current mixer. Makes sense for me.
  14. EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Splitting? Ooh. Haven't considered that.

When I get to work tomorrow, I'll set aside half a day to make block diagrams of how this whole thing will work, as well as update the rig.

This is why 8RU didn't seem like a big deal to me -- it's got wheels and a handle!:
  15. StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    West Africa
    I built one and two space racks for me...lots of them.
    Lighter...easier to move...
    Mix and match as needed.
  16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This makes no sense. You would not use an interface to do any mixing or sending a signal to a PA. You use software for mixing and a DI to send a signal to the PA.

You'd still have to EQ all of it and you'd need a computer with software to run it. All it does is converts an analog signal into a digital signal. The one you pictured happens to be able to do that for 8 different sources at the same time, plus whatever inputs are on the back that I can't see. It's not a mixer...
  17. WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I've been thinking about how to build a rack system too. I've been thinking that QweziRider makes a lot of sense when he recommends splitting the rig into a power amp rack and a separate rack for the other stuff, and then stacking the two rack boxes.

I don't know about you guys, but as I'm getting older I find that dead-lifting a 75-pound tube amp into place on top of a speaker cab stack is getting harder and harder, and I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before it gets dropped and ruined. It makes sense to split the rack gear into two separate racks that are easy to manage, otherwise the job has to become a two person lift.

One problem with multiple rack boxes is keeping an eye on everything when you have to load gear. Having all the eggs in one basket does have some appeal from a security standpoint.

So I'm kind of torn between the idea of putting the each SVT into it's own rack box, and all of the lightweight stuff into another rack box, and stacking it all, or just putting everything into a large / permanent rack-on-wheels that doesn't get lifted, and ends up standing next to the speaker stack.

The only problem is that when you put everything into a giant heavy rack, you really need to have ramps for loading, and stairs are your worst enemy.
  18. WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    A note of caution about those racks that have big indentations on the sides, like that roto-rack in the picture -- those recesses for handles on the outside act to impinge on the airflow on the inside. Many people have said that those shaped-box rack units have caused their amps to overheat.
  19. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I thought rack rigs were over with. :confused:

Anyway, rack cases only come in two sizes: Too big and too small.

I bought a 12U full-depth Gator Pro (very much in the former category) on Amazon a couple of years ago on long sale expecting I'd be able to trade it off for an 8U or something. Didn't.

I'm thinking of using it for an outdoor storage shed.
  20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've been gigging a racked setup for a few years now, and after several hundred gigs I've learned a couple of things:

A power conditioner is snake oil, a waste of money, space, and dead weight to carry...

My limit is 4U - and even that can be inconvenient in certain circumstances...

Most people that talk about gigging a 6-8U rack probably haven't done it very much - if at all...

A racked setup that is heavy enough to stay on wheels is only good with a truck or trailer, because they aren't fun to lift - it's also a pain in the neck to change settings on during a performance...

Here's what I use:

Everything I could possibly need is right there, in a somewhat manageable package...

- georgestrings