1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Building a small pedalboard/"toolkit"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IndyBass, Mar 30, 2006.

1. IndyBass

IndyBass

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Indiana
    I’m in a rock band now that writes originals and plays both original and cover gigs. I’ve been in cover bands for years, and have always found my basic palette of clean tones to be adequate. The originals we now play range from melodic pop/rock to heavier riff rock, and have inspired me to add some overdrive and chorus options.

For reference, you can hear some of our tunes here: www.garageband.com/artist/dannyisaacsband

I’d like to build a small pedal board to add those tone options, allow silent tuning, and include a D/I for the house. A “toolkit”, I guess. I’d like to keep the board small and simple.

Any thoughts about what pieces you’d use to build a board like this? The overdrive that I’d be looking for would be pretty mild to medium – just some nice grind/grit to add some attitude to the vibe. Nothing too fuzzy or synthy. And I’d like to keep my current rack tuner, rather than use one on the pedal board.

My own ideas are to use a two-loop bypass switcher for the silent tuning and for bypassing the effects, one nice overdrive pedal, one nice chorus pedal, and maybe the SABDDI for the D/I, as well as for a second overdrive source.

Any other thoughts to consider as I cruise the EvilBay listings?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I recently picked up a bass OD from Aramat Effects, and I recommend it highly for mild-medium rock OD. It's basically a tubescreamer with upgraded components, modified for bass frequencies. Nice and smooth, very natural breakup, not too harsh or buzzy. Like pretty much all tubescreamers, it really starts to "sing" on the higher notes, but at least this one doesn't lose any low end. You can find his stuff on Ebay, or Aramateffects.com, but you have to specially request the bass version. I'll try to post some sound samples in the distortion megathread sometime soon.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    For the chorus, I'd recomend the Boss CEB-3. This thing has a HPF so that it won't muddy up the lows. I stick the Effect Level, Filter, and Depth at 9 o'clock, and the Rate at 3 o'clock and it really thickens up my tone without "muddying" it. Oh, and I use it before my OD (Para Driver)!

4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    +1 on the CEB3, but i'd use probably an ODB3 or an old Marshall Guv'nor ( the old black one, not the newer one!) for the overdrive

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Fulltone Bass Drive gets MUCH love for it's tone. It has 2 levels of overdrive. My current choice for OD is an English Muff'n - tubey goodness. There are lots of chorus pedals out there that will do the job for you. Those two pedals should serve you just fine if you want to keep it simple.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. All's my board is now is OD/Dists and Chorus. And I'm LOVIN' IT!!!!!

7. This doesn't have too much to do with helping you select a pedal setup, but why not put the pedals into a toolbox and make it an actual tool kit? I'm tempted to do this now.

8. IndyBass

IndyBass

Jun 11, 2005
    Central Indiana
    Great suggestions so far, thanks! I'm going to look around to see if I can play any of these O/D pedals in my local market. I like what I've been reading about the Fulltone.

Anybody else?

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Want to recommend you the EBS MultiDrive for the overdrive :) I've been through 6 overdrives so far and this one totally knocks me out.. my band is makin' the floor rumble when I hit it :D

Anyway, really great tunes you've done there so far IndyBass - keep it up !

10. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the Peterson StroboStomp tuner is really nice. True bypass, and even includes a DI.