Building a Smaller Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twomoon42, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twomoon42

twomoon42

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been thinking about downsizing my tour rig to make a little more room in the van and for easier load in/out. My current amp is a Mesa/Boogie Venture 210 Combo, which is a fantastic amp but has the downside of weighing half a ton and just being kinda too big. I was hoping to downsize to a 210 cab and head but I'm worried about getting enough volume (small-mid sized bar venues and house shows).

Does anyone have any experience trying to do this? Is it worth the advantages or should I just suck it up and stick with what I know works? Any suggestions on specific gear?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Lots of threads on this topic popping up these days.

What's your budget?

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    There is a subway 210 that would likely lighten your load while keeping you Mesa'd and Boogie'd.

4. twomoon42

twomoon42

Sep 3, 2012
    Ideally around $500, buying used gear. However I understand you get what you pay for so if I have to haul the old amp around for a little longer to save up to get the right stuff than I will.

5. twomoon42

twomoon42

Sep 3, 2012
    I was thinking of picking up a used Ampeg B2R or a GK Frontline, which are usually on GC or Craigslist for around 200 and from what I've heard are pretty reliable and then spending the rest of what I got on a cab

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Venture 210 combo -- that's with the MPulse 600 head (version with a slanted face) in what looks like a 2x10 "airhead" cab, right? I've seen one of the slant-face MPulse heads -- I think it was from a combo -- for sale before. Can it be pulled easily from the combo?

If you like the head (and it pulls easily from the combo and has a top -- if not, might be available from Mesa), maybe you could use that with another cab. If you wanted to sell the combo, that might only be a short-term solution until you get another head. If you want to hold onto to the combo cab as a spare/rehearsal/recording/home cab, it might not be a bad way to go. If you get a cab you don't like, you can sell it and pop the head back in the combo.

EDIT: Was the combo a 2x10, a 2x12, or was it available as both?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021