Building a sound proof room

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, May 15, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm building a sound proof room next weekend in my garage. The garage is a 2-3 car garage and ill be using one-third of that space. Will that be enough for a drummer bass guitarist and a guitarist I looks to me that it will be? Another thing are there any recommended materials all feedback is greatly appreciated
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You´ll never be able to have a sound proof room per say. But a sound dampening room, that you can build :)

My band has tried many things, including egg cartons and lot´s of other stuff that I can´t remember the english names for :confused:

Hope someone here can help you better out than me :)
  3. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Use carpets for the floor, and sponges for the walls and ceiling. Other alternatives for tor the walls pak-paks (nylon fille with air, used for wrapping packages in the mail).
    Don't use egg-cartons. They're extremely flammable, and they attract cockroaches, in the tons.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

We had a lengthy discussion here on this very topic a few months ago. Do a search and see if you can find the discussion. There is much useful information about soundproofing there.

I live next door to a pro musician who has spent a considerable amount of money soundproofing a rehearsal studio next to my house. For all his efforts and expense, I can still hear his bass drum. If my windows are open, I can also hear his guitarist and bass player. In short, it is pretty hard to have a rehearsal space be completely silent to the outside if you are using amplified instruments or bass drums.
  5. Being a drummer, best option is to have your space in a basement. I play in my basement, and you can't hear a thing outside!
    If you don't have that avaliable to you - The last 3(I think) issues of 'Modern Drummer' had a series on sound proofing. It looked quite extensive, but you can probably get some good ideas.

Later -