Building a Studio in the garage. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Again, my uncanny ability to name threads well has done away with any surprise. Still, here's the skinny: We have a medium sized storage room in our garage which our new roommate is converting into a studio. Since it'll be used by everybdy, we're all pitching in. I was asked to find something that'll act as a sound insulator so the neighbors don't get us evicted. Carpet and eggshell crates seem to be the way to go, although I'm sure someone on this board might have an idea they might want to share. Also, if anyone has any material they're dying to unload for not too much money, let me know. Thanks.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Eggshell is a great diffuser, but worthless as a soundproofing material. The carpet can help to absorb sound. You'll need a hell of a lot of it to do much good. Most studios have a "double wall" kind of thing going on - basically double courses of wallboard and insulation. This is one of the best ways to soundproof.

I remember reading an article about Will Lee's home studio (in an apartment in NYC). Basically, think of a box (that's his apartment). Now put a slightly smaller box inside of it, but with sand insulating the first box from the second. That keeps the vibrations of bass (the worst culprit) from transferring along the floors and walls. That's the best way to soundproof a studio.

Good luck!
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I read somewhere that the only thing that can stop sound is mass. Like pacman said eggshell will help stop echoes n stuff but to actually stop the sound you need mass, mass, and more mass (eg concrete walls, lead, plutonium, etc).
  4. Yes but he wants cheap fixes! ;)

Umm egg carton holders stapled to thick carpet on the walls can do it. Umm find a rubber/foam factory and ask for cushion foam or something. There's piles of this stuff at rehearsal, it looks like that expensive sound proofing tile stuff but its just foam from some couch or carpet, like literally rolls and rolls of this stuff.... Ask for the off cuts from the foam place, they usually let you rummage through the cut off pile. When u find a thick piece that you reckon would be good, hunt around for more or ask how much to buy a load.

Mattresses on the doors work too. and probably two layers of carpet on the floor.

All this stuff you can find for free. I mean sometimes u can be driving home and in a builders dumpster is a entire house worth of carpet because someone is renovating.

At least it'll cut the sound down somewhat.