1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Building a USB Stompbox Interface (attempting)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amosjones, Nov 11, 2010.

1. I have been working on a concept in my head for a little while now, if this has been done or talked about please point me in the right direction.

I have been exploring using a computer to generate effects for music live. Have found some software that will do it called, Native Instruments Guitar Rig. The biggest issue I have with the software is after the demo runs out it cost nearly $600 to buy with the foot pedals. this is currently far out of my budget.

In my head I have been rolling around the idea that it should be relatively easy to build a stomp box that connects to a computer via USB that can issue some kind of command or commands to the OS that can be picked up by effects software.

A few things I am trying to figure out.
    1. Is there another software that will do the same job or something similar that I have not been able to find?
    2. Does anyone else want or need this kind of interface?
    2a what Platforms would you want supported? Windows, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android
    3. What would you want this thing to do? Effects, options, contols, what?

2. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Our guitarist uses Guitar Rig Pro software for his effects.

He stripped a standard computer keyboard of all but a few keys and programmed them for specific banks ie. keys A,H,L... he installed white keys on a black keyboard so he could see it better.
    It looks kinda weird but it works great and he actually gigs with it.

3. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Unless I'm missing something, it sounds to me like you're trying to invent a MIDI controller. Unless you really want to DIY, I'm pretty sure there are devices that do what you want.

4. Wud

Wud

Apr 11, 2009
    SM Pro Audio announced the V-Pedal (one of their V Machines) .
    It's not seen the light of day as of yet though.

You can see a picture of it here -

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines

click on the V Concepts tag.

It was supposed to have same/similar spec to the table top unit, so you actually load the VST(i) into the box, so you don't need a computer on stage.

I don't know if the IK Multimedia I Phone apps will take off ?

5. Jamo2000

Jamo2000

Jun 24, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm trying to do (roughly) the same thing. I want to trigger GarageBand samples with a pedal. Basically the poor man's Taurus.

I'm both cheap and poor, so it has to be inexpensive.

BASYN and Digikick make some interesting options, but I'm not convinced that the MIDI>USB adaptation won't introduce unacceptable lag. That may be a function of my own ignorance.

Best of luck with the project. Let us know what you settle on!