Building a Wal Copy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TWood97, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. No, save up for a real one

24.6%
  2. Yes, it'll be a lot cheaper

50.9%
  3. Carrots?

24.6%
  1. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    My guess is about 1980.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  2. TWood97

TWood97

Dec 9, 2017
    UK
    So I've had a chat with the girlfriend's dad about building a body and after discussing available woods and dimensions etc., it looks like it'll be Sapele with Walnut facings, and he's even gluing it all up for me! ;)

3. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Sub’d :)

TWood97 likes this.
  4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Subbed! I've been wanting a Wal since the 80's & now that I can afford one, my frame can't bear the 10lb mark. So I'm going forth with building a likeness of Kev Hopper's modded Wal, which will include the ACG EQ-01 pre and Bass culture Quads; wish ACG would sell their multi coils separately. KSM bridge and electronics will be installed on a Honduran mahogany core capped with fiddle back Japanese Tamo ash. And yes there will be extensive channeling in the core. Neck will be a multi lam of flamed maple and walnut stringers....ebony or bloodwood fretless board.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    blindrabbit and TWood97 like this.
  5. TWood97

TWood97

Dec 9, 2017
    UK
    I look forward to seeing how it turns out! I’m toying with the idea of channelling out some core wood for weight relief to help with my back. I might wait until I get my hands on the wood to decide though.

6. 59jazz

Larry Davis at Gallery Hardwoods has been of great help to me....good selection too.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
  8. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Show me the build thread for this one too! Um... subbed!! :laugh:

10. BassCadet78

BassCadet78

Feb 23, 2016
    Vancouver BC
    Any developments on this?

I’m curious about the preamp, I’d like to try building a clone at some point, I’m learning how to design PCB boards!

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. 59jazz

As usual other projects get in the way.....finally finished unpacking from last summer's move and have been busy with gardening, painting and wood flooring. Tomorrow I'm taking the day off and will be making my router template for the neck, I'll also build my router sled/template for the graphite rods and truss rod which will be installed tomorrow. Also hoping to rough out the body blank. Just bought a new spindle sander, can't wait to try it out.

12. BassCadet78

BassCadet78

Feb 23, 2016
    Vancouver BC

Sounds incredible. You must be pumped! Videos or photos of possible! I’m excited for you! I’ll be winding pickups later this year, so happy to share thoughts for shared thoughts!

59jazz likes this.
  13. 59jazz

306673EF-F5B8-4BC8-9C29-1C51B9E9FF8A.jpeg D4D75B58-0EA5-4AD1-ADD9-B79ACD702D85.jpeg
    Quick & dirty router sled for the truss rod and composite rod channels.

blindrabbit and Matt Liebenau like this.
  14. 59jazz

597E8520-D1FF-4BBC-A8BA-63832261443F.jpeg 74957BB3-CA68-4937-9134-EECDE1707E64.jpeg F9C1DC03-9EE5-4161-9764-27367452F16D.jpeg
    Starting point, Japanese Tamo ash facings, reminds me of olive ash.

15. 59jazz

TrevorR and blindrabbit like this.
  16. That's an actual Wal isn't it? Or did someone else make the P shaped body?

17. 59jazz

it's a converted Wal MK1 owned by Kev Hopper, check out the link. History on the bass @ 7:55

wraub likes this.
  18. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    P shaped body was an option Wal offered back in the 80s but it was hardly ever taken up. That’s Kev Hopper’s bass, formerly of Stump. It was originally a Mk 1. After a few years he took it back into Wal and got a P bass shaped body done for it.

Tom0Blam0 and TrustRod like this.
  19. Unusual Muse

Unusual Muse

Jan 20, 2013
    Any updates on this project?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021