Building a Wal Copy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TWood97, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. No, save up for a real one

24.6%
  2. Yes, it'll be a lot cheaper

50.9%
  3. Carrots?

24.6%
  1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

at a standstill for now. I'm helping a friend get his online bass business up and running; busy with assembling Tele bass concoctions ;^)

2. 59jazz

Wow it's been almost a year since I touched this. I had sizeable setback due to a router table incident; just a bit of tear out, so I shelved it. Since I'm out of COVID-19 projects, thought I'd rethink this project and move forward. Finished roughing out and shaping the body, it's going to be okay. Finished it off with 80 grit paper today and will continue up to 400 with a Poly oil finish. I decided against the 2 quads and EQ-01 pre....I seem to favor the single quad in passive like the earlier Pro's. Here's a sneak peak with a dab of poly on it.

IMG_4894.jpg IMG_4896.jpg IMG_4895.jpg

miljoneir, Beej, wraub and 4 others like this.
  3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    It's nice to see this bass coming along. I think it's easy to under estimate how much effort, time and money it takes to build a bass. Especially one as specific as this. I've moved house / regions 5 times in as many years and it really puts a spanner in my hobby builds. So I completely understand how easy it is for a bass build to stall. I think my record for a stall / restart was my 6 string bolt on project. I started in in August 2004, due to a heavy work load and complicated family situation, I finally re-started it in late 2014. So that was a 10 year hiatus. I completed the build in March 2015. I then did some further mods to it in April 2017. However, my recent 5 String Paisley P bass took a little over 2 years to build. I made a lot of intial progress and then marriage, house move and re-location twice in 2 years kind of put a spanner in the works. The whole Covid-19 forced working from home has allowed me a lot of time and stability to get this bass finished. So much, it's time for em to think about my next build.

59jazz likes this.
  4. 59jazz

Yes, time is short, we loose interest then regain it years later. New career and moving doesn't help the project either. going on 5 years for an F5 mandolin project.

5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Beej and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. 59jazz

Thanks, no interest....keeping this one passive.

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

How did you template the bass body?... By eye? Or is it an exact copy the as a Wal?

8. 59jazz

Wal2012a.jpg
    Speyer, I'm using my own '60s Precision template for the body. Kev Hopper from the band "Stump" had Wal build him a P body for his MK-1 bass, he wanted a more balanced bass. My interpretation is loosely based on his bass. Minus the neck pup and preamp.

speyer likes this.
  9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Ah I see... cool.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021