Building a Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tash, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How would one go about building a bass from warmoth parts? Is there a warmoth how-to thread here? Is it something one can do themselves or should you hire an expert builder to do it?
  2. if your not to sure i would pm nino he builds amazing basses using warmoth parts
  3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm interested too!

I've been gassing for a warmoth J for a long, long time, and i have the money.... but since i'm only 15 and have no experience with luthiery, i'm unsure if i could handle putting it together!

My idea is a Wenge\ebony fretless neck, walnut body and Bartolini soapbars... gold hardware! Or a maple\maple and ash one with a cream pearl pickguard and Nordstrand J's... :crying:

4. ive never done it but it cant be that difficult. if your willing to shell out the extra dough and let warmoth finish it, rout everything etc. its literaly just bolt together and play. the only remotly hard part is the electronics, which would only require simple soldering skills and very little electronics knowledge as there are wiring diagrams of allmost all normal pickup/preamp combinations on the web

hope that helps
  5. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

If you get them to route and finish the body, it's just assembly. If you're handy with a screwdriver and can use a soldering iron, you can put it together yourself no prob.

I'm considering doing the same, but I'm strapped for cash. :D
  6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Having just completed three within the last month, let me begin by asking a couple questions to answer your question:

* What skill level do you have working with tight tolerances?
    * Are you accustomed to give attention to small details?
    * Are you familiar with using a drill (drillpress is better)
    * Can you solder
    * Do you have a clutter free desktop to work on

and lastly ...

* are you able to plan, prepare, and take your time in during the process

Assembling a bass from pre-drilled, pre-finished Warmoth parts will yeild an excellent bass if you can do the above and are willing to plan things out in advance. Head to the library and read a decent book on guitar assembly and simple electronic circuit construction. Learning soldering basics before you begin to solder the connections will save you some $$$, too, as you won't need to repurchase a new set of pots to replace the ones that got cooked while soldering a ground lead to the cover.

There is also an excellent thread in the Pickups forum that discusses sheilding a J-bass body cavity. Carry this concept forward into any work you do, even if it's a rear routed bass of another configuration. Read up on the concept of good grounding techniques and methods.

Drill stops ... drill stops .... drill stops ... DRILL STOPS!!!

If you feel comfortable learning all this ... the begin to plan out your body/neck configuration, materials, and finish. What electronics would you like to use - learn about proper installation methods for this as well.

It can be done, and it can be done well - even on your first bass! Unless you're excellent with painting, spend the extra $$$ and let Warmoth pre-finish it for you ... you'll be glad you did, especially on your first bass project.

And don't forget that wonderful thing called budget - this is a super easy thing to blow (don't ask me how I know this)

Feel free to post follow-up question you may have ...

7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    -Having spent the bulk of my life building computers, I think I can handle tight tolerances.
    -See above
    -I've used one, not recently though. Can you order everything pre-drilled?
    -Its been a while but I've don't it.
    -No, but I can get one.
    -Of course, I am looking more for a potential project to invest time in simply for the sake of doing it than anything else. I think it would be rewarding to building my own bass, and while I can't work wood or finish I can probably handle whatever else is required.

Oh yeah: question #1: do all Warmoth bodies have the same dimension neck pocket used in the standard Warmoth neck? I'd be building a non-fender style body but would want to use one of their necks. Is that possible?
  8. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    About the "drill press thing".... what is that? Sorry, but i'm norwegian you see :).

Is the neck holes predrilled, or what? I suppose that it would be pretty easy to put together if it is, but i'm worried that i would screw something up if i had to drill something :)

9. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    wait u can get their stuff pre-drilled? i wish id known that.... no one mentioned that to me when i called :(
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That's the part that's really appealing to me. I want something rather specific, something that could only be done in a high end custom shop for tons of money.

Warmoth sells all the parts, I'd be ordering everything as complete as possible and just doing assembly myself. I'd probably get my local repair guy to do the electronics as he's pretty reasonable.

Fretwork is not a problem, my project would be a fretless, but nut cutting is. Can you order a neck with the nut cut and installed?
  11. Yes, and I think it's only $15, well worth it. Otherwise, buy a pre slotted one, like TUSQ for example.

Other recommendations: The smaller Gotoh tuners are easy to install (only one screw hole), work well and add less weight to the headstock.

If you want to finish it yourself, oil finishes like Tru Oil, tung oil or Danish oil are good for the do-it-yourselfer. An oil finished walnut body looks good and a wenge neck requires no finish.
  12. catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    A note on finishes, their's rock but be aware, and it's stated clearly on the website, that they do not remove finish from the frets of a maple neck/fingerboard, I suspect that this is realy not an issue since one would be having the frets dressed by a pro. I've also never really ever seen finishes on hardwood fretboards other than Maple, this is pretty standard isn't it?
    I'm leaning toward a 5 string. Fretless with fret lines, since my pitch sence is not so hot. They will drill and route to your specs. It's all CNC, so there is really no better way to get it all right.