Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Building Active Preamps and Passive Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PaulSimonon, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Does anyone have schematics, instructions, or helpful tips to build your own active pre and pickups (specifically the winding...)? I've been thinking about dabbling in electronics and woodworking lately, and I've been unable to find very much helpful information on either of these.

2. Erm... who thinks that this would fare better in the Luthier subsection?

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There are some threads here about building onboard preamps, look a little deeper.

There's a pickup making forum on Ampage at Firebottle.com, and you can get parts and a lot of knowledge there.

luck,

----------------CE

4. Thank you sir, I'll check them out.

5. I built one many years ago. The preamp itself was easy, I used a proven design, with a little opamp and built it on a small piece of perfboard.

The hard part was dealing with the battery. At the time I didn't have the tools to route out a cavity for a quick-change battery compartment, so I stuck the battery in the control compartment. It worked but I had to remove the pickguard to change the battery out....not very convenient. Eventually that's why I just canned the idea and went back to passive; I didn't think the benefits were worth the hassle.

6. Good thing those battery compartments from Carvin are so cheap now! Just a simple rout, and you've got a lot of accessibility.

7. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

Do you happen to know what schematic you used?
    I would love to see some schematics, see what does what. Maybe a search at diystompboxes is in order...

8. I got my design from a guitar book actually, I think it's titled "The Guitar Player's Handbook" by Ralph Denyer???

No tone controls or anything, just a gain circuit. I believe the opamp is probably out of date, this was 20 years ago.

9. How about this one: (a simple discrete buffer preamp)

http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/index.html

10. That looks simple enough, gotta be a little concerned when he says it won't work with some of the J201 FET's

And I take issue with his disdain of opamps, the NE5532 is found in an awful lot of good sounding gear.

11. Yeah, nothing wrong with opamps imo either (although for onboard preamps they may draw too much current)