building advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bacchus, Jun 5, 2003.

1. bacchus

Jun 5, 2003
    So I have never played a bass in my life. Im am more what you would call a pot head carpenter. My best friend is an avid player for about 6 years. His birthday is comming up in august and I thought I could build him a bass for his birthday. It doesnt have to be the best sounding insturment, its the thought that counts right? Any way I was wondering what type of things I need to buy. I can build the body and neck without any problems at all. I need to know what other accessories I will need. Money is an issue but not a real big one. I have about 500 left to spend. We live in a really little town in southern arizona so I either have to order them or make a road trip to phoenix. Either way I would like to know what I need before I get there. Can anyone tell me what I need?
  2. Do a google search on "luthery" or "lutherie". I think this is the best thing to do. Good luck! :)
  3. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    also, there's a luthier's corner forum right here on talkbass that you may find useful...

4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  5. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Wow! I wish you were my best friend.
  6. Musical Instrument Makers Forum - check it out:

This is one of the most complete lutherie sites around. Also check out

You'll find both very helpful.

You might find some interesting stuff at Gallery Hardwoods, they do banner advertising here. Find a local builder if there's one around, they are generally willing to talk about it too.

Most of all have fun!

Stay Low,