Building an 5 str. neckthrough??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ingemar, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I got the advice to post my thread on this forum insted or "bassguitar". So here I am...

I'm planning to build my own fivestr. 35" neckthrough bass.
    I've thought of using maple (three piece) for the neck, rosewood or ebony for the fretboard and basswood for the bodywings.

Is there any books or other info. specific on neckthrough bassbuilding??

I've never built a bass ( or any other musicinstr.) before, but I'm used to woodwork/tools
  2. get Melvin Hyscock's "make your own electric guitar" ...NOW.

they should add a smiley with a handheld router or a saw or something for us builders in here :spit:
  3. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I've ordered that book now!
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Too bad I didn't get to you first... I think Martin Koch's book is better. Or should I write "even better", since Hitchcock is good.

Oh, Freudian slip! :eek: I mean Hiscock!

And one more thing you'll need plenty of: patience!

BTW: good luck!
  5. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I'll check that one to

(skall kolla om den finns på GMF, beställde den förra därifrån)

Freud hade säkerligen haft synpunkter på flera eng.språk efternamn (spec. på skådespelare) :smug:
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You can also order plans from the MIMF site. They're quite useful- I used mine as the basis for my neck-thru 6 I'm building. Lots of dimensions, they're about $25 I think. Good stuff. Also, why not try walnut for the body wings? The combination of maple and walnut sounds very good. In any case, hope that helped, and good luck on your project. Be patient! Measure twice, then measure again, THEN cut...easier to shorten a piece of wood than lengthen it! :eek: :D :D